Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned the importance of techniques to use in projecting your presence and in keeping the conversations going in conversing back and forth with the students in the discussion forum.  This helps in the students having a clear understanding of the topic of discussion.  This is also a is a great learning opportunity for professors to share their experience in the field using case scenarios which helps the students understand how to apply what they learned.

My take away is the fact that students need more understanding of the boundries associated with contact with the instructor. And we as instructors need to make sure those boundries by means of office hours or emails are clearly stated. 

Empowering students by allowing them to present who they are and why they are here. It is always good to show your credibility to teach this course to them by telling your academic credentials and prof of experience. 

This was informative by establishing the instructor and getting to know your students.  By having them post biographies the first day this gives you time to start to understand the students.

Your Presence is who you are. By establishing this Presence early, you share who you are and what you expect with your students. Share a Biography of myself allows students to get to know me and where I come from as far as teaching the class.

I learned how to project and maintain my authority from a distance. I plan to develop and share a personal biography with my students that highlights my background, experience. In addition, I learned how to establish a relationship with each learner and the importance of getting to know them. I plan to have them write up and submit their own biographies.

Module two presents an interesting strategy using the biography format as a means of creating a relationship between instructor and student.

Hi My students are studying life skills and are in a substantially separate environment.  I would invite them, even if they struggle with writing, to provide some element of who they are as an introduction to a class.  This also increases their buy-in to the class.   

This is very interesting to me.  I have taught in the online environment for the past 11 years.  I feel very comfortable in the feedback area.  I give feedback to many students on all their writing assignments and try to provide a lot of feedback in order to improve their writing over the semester.  Where I have fallen short is in the relationship building in the online course.  I first saw this when my daughter was taking an online course when she was to submit a bio.  I have thought about it but haven't done it and I know how very beneficial it can be.  I know I need to put this in place and will work on this for the fall.

I am excited to learn that sharing short biographies is a very effective way to quickly build community. That those students in close proximity are encouraged to meet and discuss the class material. That there are two forums to chat in, one being class material related, the other more general. Very useful in in buidling raport and keeping the sifting of information easier for class management. 

I like the idea of a short biography to use in my face to face teaching.  

I will make sure to ask students to make bios. I will also make sure to post my own bio and to play a more active role in posting discussion responses.

Many of the methods I depend on in the classroom to establish a rapport with my students are not really applicable in the online environment. I will definitely use the idea of posting my bio and then requiring the students to post one as well.

I liked the idea of having a personal bio of myself and ones of the students.  This will help us to know more about each other.

One way to show students your expertise in online learning is to post a biography of yourself.

I learned from this lesson that part of effectively conecting with your students is to give a proper introduction to yourself as an instructor.

The idea of the biography about yourself and the students completing one add a personal touch and you really get to know your students likes and dislikes.  

I learned thats its just as important to receive a short biography from new students, finding out who they are, why they are there and what their background is, as it is letting them know who you are and what your experience is.  More often than not, each student has some sort of experience that relates directy to the course.   It affects how they might look at the class.  it also allows you to figure out how to build on whatever knowledge they might already have.   sharing your experiences can not only build a rapport with them, but it builds your credibility

You can showcase your expertise through distant learning by providing a brief biography of yourself. The biography should include educational credentials, achievements, and professional experience.

I learned when projecting your presence to students it is important to include credentials and professional background as well as providing some personal information such as hobbies and special interests. Online learning can be less social than face-to-face instruction, so it makes sense to share professional experience to let students know that you understand the information you are teaching. Including personal interests is a good idea as well because it can help you make connections to students. 

Our program is in an in-person format but has transitioned temporarily to online delivery due to Covid 19 restrictions.  In the past, I always did my introductions in person, but I see the value in posting a Bio on the CMS, even if I've already done it in person.  That way, the students can look back at it later on.  Plus, having the students create their own bios helps me create a connection with them by relating concepts in the course with their backgrounds.   

Sign In to comment