Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Even though it is an online platform, it is important for students to know and understand your presence and qualifications.

I normally have an Introduction DB Thread at the beginning of each semester with Guided Biography Questions that students answer that share layers of each others personality types, life experiences and academic & career goals. Students that have similiar career interesst tend to connect quicker and become study buddies.

Online Teaching Techniques --> Projecting Your Presence

Strategies, your presence and what is used in a traditional classroom can be applicable to online learning. One of my biggest initiatives to be successful, is to give my students a sense of comfort and security by being supportive throughout their learning by informing them I will have a disscussion forum, and provide constructive feedback.

Studemts are more responsive whem they know their instructor is competent, has experience and excellent credentials. This can be accomplished by provifing an instructor bio. Further, students enjoy establishing a rapport and relationship with the instructor. This seems to add acurity and stability to their studies online and in the class room.

sharing my biography and experience with the students at the first day of course will help in building relationship with them. 

I love using the e platform to show the students and staff how to evaluate their care, and move the information from theory to practice.

It is important to keep the student interested, i will provide many different ways for class to practice and be sure to make it fun so they are excited to come to class.

In an online class you have to build trust and understanding with your students. This is done by allowing students to see that you know what you are teaching and that you have established a relationship with them through learning.

Important to connect with students just like the classroom.  Biography to start is good advice and sets the tone of the class.

Module 2 gave information about creating your online presence that I think is helpful when establishing and maintaining a relationship with students. I believe I will utilize the techniques discussed to engage the students from the beginning of class, setting expectations, and sharing knowledge, and reminding them that above all I am here to support and guide them and want to see them succeed. 

There are a number of tools to establish the roles and relationships of the class from the beginning. To teach effectively in an online environment one has to take actions that relate to timing and format of relational interactions between teacher and students and  students and students. There need to be sychronous adn asynchronous options available within the course.

OK.  I had a few good takeaways from this module when it comes to applying to a middle school classroom, as well as other classes.  The online bio is huge for buy-in.  The other point....duh...a simple phrase of the time expectations to prepare the learner.  Brilliant.  

OK.  I had a few good takeaways from this module when it comes to applying to a middle school classroom, as well as other classes.  The online bio is huge for buy-in.  The other point....duh...a simple phrase of the time expectations to prepare the learner.  Brilliant.  

OK.  I have accidentally posted on other threads and have lost my comment.  Here it goes...

I had a few good takeaways from this module when it comes to applying to a middle school classroom, as well as other classes.  The online bio is huge for buy-in.  The other point....duh...a simple phrase of the time expectations to prepare the learner.  Brilliant.  

You can project an online relationship,by sharing your profile and requesting that your tudnts sure their's with you as well.

Having students complete a biography is very important when establishing the relationship between the students and the class and the instructor. 

I learned that it is important to take time to get know your students and have them know and trust you as the instructor.  As a first time on line instructor I am realizing how much we take fro granted in a face-to-face situation.  It is much easier to get to know your students!

We have just started online classes for our students since  Corvid19 hit the states. This was very challanging to get all the course material into video format and uploaded but we were able to. Now we need to incoprate the material that was discussed in this chapter. I did not even think about posting a biography. I wil have to try this at the start of the next class.

super important that students know the instructor is in the course.

It's important to get to know your students beyond the classroom! Connect with them and allow them to feel a more relational experience from a distance. 

Sign In to comment