Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reply to Kimberly Szadek's post: FlipGrid bios would be pretty cool. They could show some of their creativity and share info in a comfortable format. I think when we are put in this situation due to the COVID-19 crisis we should be even more attentive to students' needs throughout this crisis. This is affecting so many people and all of us are going through things in different ways. We also need to take care of ourselves or we won't be effective.

Instructor presence is crucial for online learning. Students need to see that the instructor is invested in their success. 

This module made we realize that projecting my credibilty and presence via an online course requires different techniques than when teaching in a classroom. In my high school classroom, I have never provided the student with a personal biography. rather I would verbally share life experiences and accomplishments with the students during introductions and through the course discussions. I understand now that I will need to create different techniques to accoplish this in an online environment.

I learned to use a biography to get to know your students. 

I really like the idea of getting the profile from each stusdents to try and get common ground.  I feel it is important to try and make distant learning personal and this practice will go a long way in setting that relationship off to a positive learning experience.

How to set up a virtual profile.

It appears that it is more difficult to establish relationships with students online as opposed to in-class.  This course provides some good tips on establishing and building that relationship.

This module isn't what I thought it would be as far as how to project your presence to online learners but I guess one take away I got was to establish and initiate the conversation.

Creating a biography and asking one of your students is important in establishing a relationship.  Students are more likely to communicate when they feel comfortable with their instructor and will respect them when they know that they have the knowledge and experience for the course.  I plan to post a bio for all students to access and include a bio lesson for students.  I actually think that a pre-course and post-course bio might be interesting as well.

Build a relationship with your students even though it is virtual and online.  Engage with them and encourage them to engage with each other.

It is important to start off the course with general biography of who I am as their instructor.  Giving some personal information such as hobbies and interests can be a conversation starter and indicate my openness and willingness to have a one-on-one relationship with each student. 

It is important to nurture a relationship with students even if you are engaging from a distance.

Reaching out to students individually at the start of a new class vs just messaging them as a group is a great idea to build a personalized connection with the students right away.    

From this module, I learned effective ways to building an e-learning community for students to learn. 

I will apply what I learned by having the students create a small biography about themselves during the first week of a course. 

I agree that one of the first things a teacher and class should do is realize who they are and their goals for the class

In an e-learning environment is is important for students to feel a connection to the instructor. It is important for students to have the background of the person doing the instructing. On the first day or before it's a great idea to send out a welcome letter to the students. An assignment could be a first discussion post with everyone introducing themselves to the course. Student connection is just as important in an e-learning environment as in a brick and mortar environment.

Completing this Module has helped me understand the importance of getting to know your students. Helps to not only understand why they are taking the class but to also understand their other interest.

The students should know why you are teaching the class (your qualifications) and what the plan is for your and their participation in the class.

As an online instructor you have to be attentitive and regularily engage students using a variety of methods

I like the idea of bio with video or other sources for he studnets and the bio of them so you can learn more about each and engage them on a more focused level.

Sign In to comment