Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This course has informed alot on a personal matter with having children 3 whom are all experience differently in which one may struggle more the other and that it is challenge to adapt e-learning. May be diffcult and it will take the time that he/she may need that instrutors are suppose to be support every step of the way.

I learned of methods that will allow students to get to know myself as well as each other.

 

It is important to develop relationships with your students to keep them engaged.  Sharing your biography and asking them to share theirs creates a more positive relationship and allows you, and the students, to see each other as more than a computer screen!

 

I learned students will learn more about their peers and me by reading biographies.

 

I have learned how important it is that your students know who their instructors are and how important is is to share your credentials and achievements with them. After all, you are the expert and students are looking at you as their mentor.

Building one-on-one relationships with your students, also builds trust and respect. This does energize the classroom and let's students know you are sincerely interested in their academic success. I know I have student's who have thought I was a bit of a "pest." I can share that after speaking to the students over the phone and sharing why I engage the way I do, they are often grateful. I might add by the end of the term, they understand the reminders and engagements paid off keeping them on task and earning the best grade possible. I understand the importance of learning as much as you can about your students and their goals. There really is knowledge and power in being familiar with a student's profile.

I have learned that having the students present a short biography can assist me with understanding their background. level of education and motivations for taking the course. I plan to apply this in upcoming courses

 

I have done all of these things in my online courses.

There are some that I have built close relationships with but very few.

Most do not want to interact very much, but I still think it is important to provide the opportunity.

Communication, communication, communication.  What most impressed me about the section is that communication is key to establishing your presence and control, and establishing trust between yourself and your students in the course.  I was particualrly impressed with the concept of establishing a general chat room or forum for yourself and students for things that are not necessarily course related.  I would probably not have thought of that on my own, but it really does make sense.  Most classes also have a social aspect, especially in the grades I teach (elementary).  In the in-class environment we supply the opportunity for soical learning to go on, so making an opportunity for that in an on-line envornment is probably crucial.

 

It is important to get to know your students and for your students to get to know you.  It is also important to keep your students engaged when they might appear to be losing interest.   You want your students to know you are invested in their success.

It is very important to contonue to get to know the studnets and let them know about yourself as the instructor. Having a brief introduction of the instructor and studnets will help facilitate this. 

 

I learned that it is important to establish a relationship with your online students by giving a brief biography of yourself and being personable from the begining of the course. Adding a picture and or a video to your portfolio is key to introducing yourself.

 

By posting your credentials and experience helps establish trust with the student in an online environment. 

I have learned that becoming familiar with students' biographies helps generate a more confident and stronger relationship, fact that will contribute to a more effective learning environment.  As well, I have understood that providing students with the instructor's biography can make them more comfortable to share experiences and concerns throughout the course.

 

Good job

The most important component that I learned from this module is how to acquire and maintain an effective learner-instructor relationship with your students through an e-learning environment

 

 

 

That even with online learning that personal bonding is still important for the success of the student. I understood the importance of the instructor bio, but did not think about the student bio. Although this is one of the activities we do during our in class orientation I wouldnt have thought about it for online.

I really enjoyed this section because it gave good suggestions for beginning the class and maintaining a good relationship with my students.

Our program is in an in-person format but has transitioned temporarily to online delivery due to Covid 19 restrictions.  In the past, I always did my introductions in person, but I see the value in posting a Bio on the CMS, even if I've already done it in person.  That way, the students can look back at it later on.  Plus, having the students create their own bios helps me create a connection with them by relating concepts in the course with their backgrounds.   

 

I learned when projecting your presence to students it is important to include credentials and professional background as well as providing some personal information such as hobbies and special interests. Online learning can be less social than face-to-face instruction, so it makes sense to share professional experience to let students know that you understand the information you are teaching. Including personal interests is a good idea as well because it can help you make connections to students. 

 

Sign In to comment