Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with Challenging Students | Origin: ED104

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Class Management Strategies--> Dealing with Challenging Students

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I do have some students in my class that are inattentive, using their cell phones,ipads, computers or doodling.  And, as you stated, i do walk toward them and immediately they put their devices down.  In addition,  I  have had some "Center-Staged Sudents".  I love both your ideas about asking them to be "observers" and taking notes.  But my favorite idea is "Using it Wisely.  I think it gvies the students reponsibity in adding good conversation about the topic.

Informative at teaching techniques for inattentive students or center stage. Make your presense known, inspire or motivate your students with guest speakers. Creating question cards, or meeting minute notes for students to review at the end of class. 

It's very informative about how to deal with different student personality types with different strategies.

great presentation

Good ideas on how to deal with "Center Stage" students

This module helps to understand how to deal the diverse classroom that we would have, which is great! 

I have gained some good insight in how to treat and interact with different types of student (i.e. innatentive, unprepared etc.) 

Make sure to include all students in discussions and activities.  Usually inattentive students are lacking the knowledge, help these students through this.  Lots of good information.

I've had challenging students that with simply walking over to them and just standing by them while giving a lesson is enough to bring them back in to the lesson. The next step would be to ask their view on the concept or lesson ask to give value to their contribution. With a more drastic approach I will ask the learner to see me after class. This usually has the learner self evaluating his position in the class and will self correct. But a coaching after class along with the prior mentioned, works with a higher disruptive non compliant student.

I think the approach of speaking to a student after class is a good idea, although not always possible.  If this situation arises, I try to speak to a student to gauge a situation before the next class.  The occupying of a aposition near a person who may be disruptive is helpful advice too.

Yes I think we all have both of those types of students in our classes. I like the idea of the center stage student being the class note take per say. And walking around the class to let students know that you are watching and paying attention to them. Set standards also in class for that behavio.

Moving to the area where the inattentive students are sitting is an easy way of trying to redirect their behavior. Your presence will often get them to put away the distractions, cease talking, or at least pretend to be interested in the class.

As stated in the  module, there will always be challenging students. The module presented different strategies on handling these students. However, as a new instructor, this will take time for me to master. Like any other skill, this will need practice. 

speak with students who are being loud and trying to take the attention off the class. 

Include all students in discussion and group activities to keep everyone engaged. 

I have students who like to be the center of attention. I think it's best to include them in classroom discussions, but not let them take over a class. Also, don't ignore the quiter students.

I have learned how to manage different types of students in the class room, and that each type of student can help facilitate class learning if addressed appropriately. 

i learned how student behaviors can be held accountable by various stratagies.

It may be helpful to give students 5 colored cards to hand in each time they want to speak in class.  This may help students to prioritize sharing in class and allow for an even distribution of participation.

Sign In to comment