Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The segment on participation was very helpful. Using small groups to get the more shy students involved and the suggestions for ways to reign in the talkers was very informative. 

Eventually getting burnt out whether its me and the studets. I need to remember REFOCUS. This can help me get or give some inspiration to keep our eyes on why we are ultimately here.

I've learn how to reach out to a student who is having a difficult time in their persoanl life. I learn how to understand them and listen to them and assure them that I will be here for them to listen and give advise if they need someone to talk to. 

I should identify the reasons for students enrolling in my class to help my students develop into successful learners.

I need to remember that I do not need to be perfect, but effective

Remembering that its okay not to be prefect but to push forward with our students to develop their personal grit is very important to keep students involved in the class and to create a sense of empowerment.

FOCUS

In this module I learned the importance of being motivated and REFOCUS with your teaching plan.  It was very beneficial to understand how to complete this strategy for you as an instructor and to assist you to understand the student better.  I will definitely implement this strategy in my lesson plan.

Draw students into the content and discussions

Change up lectures and skill demos to include varied teaching/learning techniques for student enthusiasm and participation.

I learned how to engage talkers and non-talkers better.

To help students remember content also called working memory, they must be able to see applications and illustrations of how the content can be used. Basically store it in their minds and then retrieve it when needed.

Building rapport with students can lead to less student management issues and increased focus.

By adding change and variety to the lessson you help students stay interested and engaged.

Give the students small bits of information to process.... like How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time

Develop rapport with the students, trust and respect go along way. Break the trust and you are done! Watch verbal and non-verbal cues.

Feedback, motivation, creativity are all so crucial in effective classroom instruction. Rapport is the building block of it all!

A teacher cannot forget herself/himself in the crowd of teaching, the material, the delivery and the class content must be evolving and rearraged often to keep the momentum going. The attention of the student must be kept continuously and their input taken into consideration as the semester must continue as it started with the midn and spirit of everyone involved to the end.

I like the list of verbal cues that I can refer to:

Verbal Cues

During the course you can promote an atmosphere of trust and rapport by offering some of the following

questions or comments:

1. Can you think of a situation in which this _____ (notion, formula, strategy) might apply? Might not apply?
  2. That's an interesting idea, tell me more.
  3. I don't know either, but that's a very interesting question. Can anyone help us try and find an answer to this question?
  4. I'm not sure I understand. Can you clarify your question or can you give me an example of what you are asking?
  5. Feels to me like we've strayed from the point. Have we?
  6. Let's not forget the basic problem we are trying to solve.
  7. What's the first step?

I usually turn my nose up at acronyms, I usually find them contrived and corny. REFOCUS, however, is very helpful to me. Its an operating procedure to keep my motivation in check. I liked that part.

I know realize that I have had some pretty good teachers.  The techniques about engaging quiet students and how to deal with the ones who talk too much is something I have definitely seen in action.  Not something I thought I would have to learn but non the less a very important set of tools to make sure my course goes smooth.  More importantly to make sure everyone gets there fair share of knowledge.  Very interesting stuff for sure. 

This module stressed about using different strategies to keep the student engaged.

As a teachier you need to be engaing with your strudent, I like the idea of using story telling

Sign In to comment