Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

From the previouse module,  I've learned that by being creative when approaching a subject, we can keep the students engaged in learning. Adding some excitment and providing a different view by the use of analogies, can impact the way a struggling student succeeds. As Instructors, we can acknowledge the student simply by learning their name and therefore, creating a respectful environment. 

Again, I agree with these wonderful strategies which I have been using for many years. I do want to stresss the point about starting the class with some light hearted discussion to get the students warned up to the discussion. In my online class, I log on early. I play a little jazz, as waiting music until the class time starts and students log in. Students look forward to it, and remind me of playing the specific song I use because it helps them settle in. I also give them some history as to why I chose that jazz song, and why I'm sharing that personal event with them. I also greet the students as they log on to the system. Students are confortable using the chat feature as I encourage them to interact socially. 

Remember the human factor. Find creative was to engage students. Have a celebration sometimes. Show students your take their learning seriously 

Allow adult learners to have a few moments of child like behavior to look forward to such as a goofy holiday or event to help relieve stress of class.

It was good to learn about engaging more with studetns by having a bit of fun, lightheartedness especially at the beginning of class to promote engagement and have students be interested in the next class.  I learned that it is important to tell students how to succeed, give recognition and rewards.  I have learned that competition is important, but it is important to make sure competition is not too intense.

It's a great idea to think of openers for each day of class, because some days the students are really having a tough day outside of class. It's important to decompress prior to start of class.

Developing a rapport with students, and understanding there is no format for creating a positve and fun learning environment.

But there is you.

If you can incorporate your passion for your material and relate it, if possible, to your life experiences, then the students will be more engaged and receive the information in a more meaningful way.

Adult learners understand conepts from explanation, not memorizing things as little kids. They add experience into learning so instructors need to respect them and use more expereince in life or career to make them understand better.

I am honest and real with my students at all times.

I think adding humor to my library teaching will go a long way. I think research is fun, but some people find it daunting or drugery. There's also the societal misconception that librarians are hard-nosed and stern people, rather than people who enjoy helping other people find what information they are seeking. 

What I learned from this section is that being yourself as a faculty member goes a long ways in retention. Providing the opportunity to students to also do the same by remembering their name, always having greetings, asking about their professional experiences, all go to creating a relationship and rapport with the student which will go along ways through out the course and the student's degree program. In addition, I liked the video and understanding that sometimes the course won't always go as planned and that's okay. 

By providing opportunities for the development of self-respect within instructional settings, instructors will be enabling students to really focus on the acquirement of new knowledge and skills. Many students are there as a result of traumatic events in their lives, such as the loss of a job or a required career change. They are trying to redirect their lives, but are unsure if they really can do it. They must be encouraged, reinforced, and rewarded for their efforts when merited.

Teaching with ones head and heart shows students you care about them and their success. 

Everybody learns differently what my objective is is to find what gets my students excited and really want to learn without making it boring with a lot of 'hands on' time learning how things really work in the field and I empathize that there are no stupid questions just a quest for more information to help them understand and I thourghly understand because I have been in my particular field for 40 years better to ask the question than get hurt and let them know that I really care and want them to advance

I make it a point to get students prepared and comfortable for class.  In my nursing classes, I find that they are usually very stressed and I like to build a good rapport with them in my class so they will engage more in the content.  I play introduction games or games in general.  I have seen a lot of benefits for doing this and the students seem to enjoy class overall.  I also tell them "there is not stupid question", and to ask me any question on the content.  This really helps.

Get to know student backgrounds. Adult learners have many different life experiences that can be related to their learning progress.

Learning the names of my students!  I must confess, this is my weakness...never the less...it is a must! 

Reply to Noah Basta's post:

Sometimes to get my students engaged, I give an example of an experience I had as a nursing student. Then I let others share what they are experiencing in their setting as a student. It breaks the ice and there is always something to learn from an experience.

The human side of teaching is so important.   

Sign In to comment