Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting expectations on the first day is important.

I have learned that an important strategy to help students acclimate to their new environment is to greet them at the beginning of the course.

I need an ice breaker and a way to start learning student names

It's important to build a rapport and get to know something about your students on the first day of class.

Ways of having introductions.

Also enjoyed the video on the 3 levels of learning. Head - Heart - Gut

The importance of introduction. 

Introduce yourself with background information of experience and what brought you to teaching.

I have learned that it's important to give the students time to acclimate to a new classroom environment, and the best way to do this is through getting to know them and giving them an opportunity to get to know each other better.

It is important to learn more about my current cohort.

My key takeaways were how to make the students comfortable and create and environment for learning and expression of ideas. 

Great knowledge on how to start the course in proper way.

The importance of introductions and being personable. Class expectations should also be discussed during the first class. 

"Getting to know you, getting to know all about you"; something to be said about these lyrics.

Introducing yourself & letting students know your experience and interests gives them an understanding that you are knowledgeable in your field and interested in their success. First impressions are so important.

Be personable, introduce self and let students do the same, meet them at the door

Be friendly and professional. Make a safe and comfortable learning environment where students are not afraid to share. Learn their names and use their names to address them.

I learned the importance of teaching students how to study as some may be older and first time back in class in a while. I will implement this as part of my first day orientation.

It's very important to introduce yourself and your background to your students to establish the instructor student relationships and develop ethos. Asking the students to introduce themselves also helps you gain insight and find ways the students can transfer their experience into the subject matter.

Creating a learning community starts with the first impressions on the first day. 

You want your students to walk away with a feeling of comfort and that they can be successful in the course.  

The first day sets the stage for students and lets them know what to expect from your class. It also gives them an opportunity to learn about your experience and knowledge of the field as well as the opportunity to learn about them.

Sign In to comment