Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introduce yourself and have the students do the same. A comfortable classroom is better for learning 

It's important for the students to get to know you as well as knowing them, to make them feel like they have a sense of security of knowing about you, the other students, and what to expect for the remainder of the course. It is also important to find your own easiest way to remember their names. 

It is normal for students to be anxious but they should have clear expectations and a confidence that they can succeed in the course by the time they have completed their first day of class.

Preparation for class equals lasting first impression.

Introduction--first impression to allow students to see you as a human, but passionate about teaching, their education, and the subject.

Prepare your self to motivation students.

It is imperative to know your students names. It shows them that you care. Tell the students a little about yourself; it shows them that you are human. I love the idea of small groups. It creates a temporary bond amongst students. 

I have learned to Greet every person, create space for students to get to know you and give them a sence of security by allowing yourself to share your professional back ground. Also I learned that is important to learn students names as quickly as you can.

It's helpful to the overall success of the student to create an environment that is not stiff and rigid to optimize their learning, to interact with the students after you have shared something about yourself professionally and after the students have shared about themselves as well. Also, allowing students to test their knowledge so that you can better prepare to focus on areas that need more instruction. 

Making personal connections with students at the beginning of class via a smile, or a getting to know you ice breaker, helps foster connections and trust. This helps to promote opportunity for learning and engaging.

The first class is an opportunity to get to know students on a personal level and introduce yourself on a human level prior to moving on to managing expectations about the class content and outcomes. It's a place and time to practice the art of relationship building. Afterwards, it's easier to establish a knowledge baseline from the students so that you can adjust your presentations to meet their level of mastery of the subject.

I believe that being able to introduce yourself to the class would allow them to understand you better. It also opens a way for them to interact with each other and learn more about each other.

you want students to feel comfortable not out of place , enjoy the class which helps them take in more ideas

set a tone for your classroom. Also, don't let it be all information about the class only. Introduce yourself and have ice breakers for the whole class to get to know one another. It helps relax the classroom setting so the students don't have to feel anxious. Remember their names !! 

I like having an ice breaker activity

Get to know your students first and last names and use them!  Tell them a little bit about yourself and ask them to introduce themselves.  This will offer a little bit of an ice breaker and allow you to know your students better.

I am definitely bad about learning names. I like the idea of taking the students picture and having them write their name on it and keeping it in a file.

The first impression for instructors starts the minute they enter the class and continues throughout the first class meeting. 

I am learning that comfort and safety are huge in learning.  Making people feel comfortable, engage them like a peer, and be organized are huge for student success.

The first day of class is all about setting the tone and expectations for the students. It also is an important first step in establishing your role as leader and expert professional of the class. Learning each student's name (and the pronunciation) is key in making the students feel important, but also in getting to know them as individuals. 

The first class, although it may not seem like it, is very important, it allows you the first contact with your students, share things about yourself and also know a little more about them and their preferences, qualities and expectations.

It is important to know what motivates your students to aid in sucess.

Sign In to comment