Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning from the past instructors and also to grow from mistakes.  

Some key components to remember about becoming a good instructor are being a good role model to inculde demonstrating by actions of maintaining quality career skills. Through good organizational skills from set-up of supplies and content materials for the program. Plus, convincing the students your love for this subject will create an internal drive of appreciation throughout your classes.

I appreciated the detailed information provided on the importance of creating a professional development plan.

Specificity on motivation

This Pandemic has made me enhance my technological skills being force into an Online Classroom. Listening to the student and their own frustrations with this shift in education. I was available for the students when then had questions and answered them honestly and with understanding of this "change in the classroom."

The main takeaway for me is that learning to teach others will require thought and effort to improve as an instructor.

Learning is the goal; students first. As instructor several key foundational structures need to be in place including planned preparation and caring about outcomes. Many components build this foundation including modeling expectations, positive reinforcement, and confidence in competencies.

I believe it helps us develop a pThe presenter is very good.oint of comfort in education where you discover your best abilities and can develop an appropriate style.

Being a good educator does not necessarily translate into being the most knowledgeable about the subject.

The presenter is very good.

This topic has brought me through a lot of reflection on my part . I feel the very beginning of this topic set the stage for much of my reflection as a teacher to be the best model, manager, and motivator for my students. I also take very seriously the teaching and learning aspect I bring to my students, and I will keep in mind that the learning aspect of teaching is the most important thing going on in the classroom.

Great reflection that there is a need of both: Professional and Personal Groth Planning!

Reply to Gary Wilkerson's post:Agree! We can easily forget that these students could have had a life/career prior to their current education

An instructor has to be a model, motivator and a manager. one should dress and conduct in a frofessional way. professionalism is very important. A learning atmosphere rather than a teaching one is a better approach. And also professional growth is very important.

Ive learned that being prepare is essential and on- going.

Deciding what type of teaching style you want to have is important and may need to change based on a number of factors; class size, environment, etc.

Students evaluate your style and you; they go together but they are different.

It is importnat to be able to adapt as an educator. Have a good understanding of your audience and other factors such as envirionment that may impact learning.

Decide on your teaching style; this may differ slighlty from your persona that you relate to.

As a new educator, it will be important for me to openly receive feedback from those in my class so I can modify and make improvements to my education presentation in order to promote effective learning among my learners.  

In this module, one of the things that I have always felt, & was reminded in this module is to not asume you are the smartest in the class. I have learned things from students as well.

Other things that I have taken away in this module are the following, & how I intend to use them, & or continue to use them.

• Be a model to the students. Dress appropriatly, language is to be clean & professional, NEVER, use profanity, Conduct ones self as professional, & bee honest. Be on time, & manage time. Be a leader, be confident. I learned about the 5 "C"'s. Be: Candid ( forthright), Credible, Compassionate, commited & be clear. Language is one of the things I will continue to improve on.

• Be a manager in the class / lab. Many things fall in this, & this is what that means to me.  As a mangager I need to manage grading, Student assignments, Assessment, Participation. Other things that fal under this is being the authority, a disiplinarian, a cheerleader, the judge & jury, don't be a baby sitter, You can be friendly, but don't be a "PAL".

• Be a motivator for the students. One area that I will be working on as a motivator, is helping them see their progress as they move along.  The gradebooks are now set up, along with the structure of the class to show this item by item. In class & lab settings. Guest speakers, we currently use, & will continue to look for more & new opportunities in this area.  Also, I will be continuing to be very supportive of the students, individually, & as a class.

• Instructor compencies are very important, & will be continuing to grow in this area.
  • Rapport with students is paramount. I will continue in this.
  • Know your past, your school, your students, your subject, your colleagues, your self.....
  • Professionalism is key, and how I conduct myself, how I dress, & how I handle situations are top priority. I wil be working on how to handle situations better. Things that I will be keeping in mind as far as professionalism, are to remenber that learning is happining in the classroom, not teaching, admit mistakes, & move on, Roll with the changes, keep in mind that most learning happens outside the classroom, & remember to reflect on what is being learned, & strive to continue to improve.  Professional development is key here to continue to increase profiencies, & to keep current in the field.  I will be making a list of what areas I would like to work on.

Keith Crawford, how tempting it is to try and gain approval of students by becomming their ''Buddie'' ON the Jobsite this is generally how we relate to eachother, however as i have learned from this course as an instructor this relationship does not work in the classroom. As an Instructor they will come to know and respect me as a Professional... not open to compromise if by chance they need a ''favor'' down the road a ways.

Always look for new ideas to improve my teaching

In this module I learned that in order to be a good leader and example to my students I need to constantly be bettering myself and learning. The first step is to clarify where I am now and where i want to be in the future, and then build a plan to take me there.

Lead by example. Teach knowledge and skills and learn by teaching.

Sign In to comment