Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Instructor Compatability

This lesson mentioned online resources to assess instructors' compatability with online instruction. Can anyone recommend some helpful online assessments?

How do you determine?

How do you determine which student are good canidates for an online program? Also, when a student attends school and they fall out of SAP we usually put them on a probation period of 30 days how can you implement the same rules to your online students?

Advisory Commit.

How do you determine who is the best choice for your Advisory Committee? Also how often should you get together for meetings?

In-House vs. Off the Shelf

Has anyone had issues with working with Learning Platforms that have been developed in-house?

Moving a Program Online

We have a successful on ground program. The challenge to convert our "on-ground" policies to an online envirorment! There needs be a "shift in thinking" because many policies do not translate to the online world.

Cost-effecive pilot?

Is there a way to pilot an online program with only one course and still have it be cost effective?

Open Source Learning Management System!

I am looking into an open source learning management system to implement a pilot in our school. Any recommendations? Thank you very much in advance.

New Online Program

Since we currently do not have online courses, I am researching to find the best programs for our small business college. Is there a specific way to identify which program is best for our needs?

"I can't do it all"

One of the problem I am having is people from my advisory board taking my Ideas before I get a chance to do anything with it. I know my idea is not unique but for some reason or another "MY TEAM" always ends up as a one person show (that does not include me).I Get the impression they are thinking if she can do this, then so can I. I do know I need an advisory board but they keep taking my Idea and making it their own. * How can I choose a advisory board I can trust? *… >>>

LMS flexibility – adaptability – options?

For those that have worked with, or at least looked at LMS systems, what are their flexibility, adaptability, and options? I once wrote a spread sheet for a school to do grades. Surveying my fellow instructors I got requests for “straight grades”, “drop the lowest quiz score”, “push the highest score to 100 and move all other scores up by the same amount”, and “let me add points to all students”. (I was able to provide all these options) Do any LMS have flexibility in any of their functions? My experience with any computerized learning tools is inflexibility. Regards, Terry

Admissions/Marketing Training

What are the differences in training approaches for the Admissions/Marketing department when offering online classes versus traditional courses?

MOODLE?

Describe your experiences with Moodle. Are there any other "open-source" LMS programs that schools are using? If yes, what are they and how do you rate their quality?

Learning Management Systems

Where is a good place to find information on the different types of Learning Management Systems that exist? What are some of the obstacles that present day institutions are experiencing with current Learning Management Systems?

Outsourcing Cost-Model

Assuming you already operated a succesful "bricks-and-mortar" post-secondary institutuion; What would be the cost of the initial investment to create a blended program using vendors for all aspects of your online course developement and delivery? What are the costs to maintain such a program after the initial launch?

CPL, CPS, and other marketing metrics

I find that monitoring your cost per lead and cost per start monthly, using a simple excel spreadsheet, really helps when determining the effectiveness a a marketing plan. What other key operational metrics should be focused on to stay on target with your five year plan?

I.E.P vs. 5 year plan

How does an Institutional Effectiveness Plan compare with a 5 year plan? What essential components can be found in both and what areas are unique to each plan?

What Makes an Effective Orientation Program?

Since many of my faculty are adjuncts, the process can take time....I prepare a packet and review that after hiring...I have books and syllibi/LP's ready...I have a Program Director tour the new hire and assist with equipment. I pair them with a seasoned mentor (FT) instrutor

Conducting Job Interviews

We take special care to hire staff that we believe to possess the experience and educational background to perform the duties outlined in their job description. We practice a strict multi-phase hiring process for all hirings. This includes an initial resume screening, reference checks, and a series of interviews. If necessary, we administer a short competency exam (pertinent to their position) to verify a prospective employee’s skill level. Areas of deficiency are often addressed during the interview, in order to ensure the skill assessment accurately depicted the candidate’s proficiency. 1.phone interview 2.in-person interview to narrow down candidates 3.second interview to… >>>

Recruitment Methods

We use a number of different methods -- all fo them mentioned in the unit. Th emost helpful have been the following: professional organizations, networking and targeted, specific ads (with specific dealbreakers). By far the fastest, and best for finding new, local adjunct faculty memebers is at professional networking events -- the folks there have the qualifications you are looking for, may know you already, and may knwo something about your organization -- some of our best prospects, who turned into great instructors came from jsut being open at meetings. Recently I had good luck with a very targeted ad,… >>>

Hiring the Right Instructor

I hire based on Experience, skills can only be honed and effectively taught by people who have done what they teach. I believe you most effectively transfer knowledge by a true understanding of your skill sets.