Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

New to Online Courses

Though I understand online education as my children attend an online charter school. I feel out of my element in finding my way to lead our organization. Thus far, we have chosen MoodleRooms as our LMS, we have determined the courses from 2 distinct programs to pilot this with, we are exploring training options, I have we reached out to our book reps for their support, and we preparing submissions to our state and accrediting body. We seem to be on the right track, but I often wonder if I am in the right seat on the train. Thoughts? Where… >>>

In house vs Contract svc

Can someone offer me insight to the pros & cons for doing it inhouse vs outsoursed to who ever. I am looking for time,cost & responce time. Also a quick fix vs longetivity realitys

Internet Services-Broadband

Here in Florida we can only get lightning fast (clear) svc in certin areas. Dial up is even slower. Is there a fix to making bandwidth & speed accessable to all students if they just log on? Quicker access and faster downloads would help. (Server) Also, seeing that the computer has the compatibility for all downloads.

Table 1: Benchmark for Quality Question

I have a question about one of the benchmarks in Table 1: Benchmarks for Quality. Under Institutional Support it references a "centralized system" in #3. Does that mean one Learning Management System? Thanks.

Enrollment Projections

I'm curious to your thoughts on ways to more accurately project and predict student enrollment numbers. We try to factor in as many external sources as possible such as the legislation to expand the Post 9/11 GI-Bill, but it really feels like at it's most basic it's just a guessing game based on previous year enrollment numbers. Thank you.

Giving financial reward to employees who make recommendations

I missed this particular question on the Final, as I disagree, and don't recall it being covered in the course. I can understand the idea of an added incentive for current employees to make recommendations for new employees. But I don't think it should be a common practice and should not result in bonus pay. This to me would only add to the possibility of bias in the decision process by the employer, knowing that his/her employees hope to benefit financially by the outcome. It could also cause some animosity within the work place. I would suggest that question on… >>>

Being asked to teach a short class

On several occasions, during the interview process, I was asked to provide a short teaching example. I believe this is a legitimate way to assess an applicant's abilities to fulfill the role of instructor. I was given the topic of my lecture by the hiring institution, and was not allowed to choose my preferred topic. And although there were several staff observing my presentation, the students were also allowed to "rate" me. I am not sure to what extent the student's opinions were calculated, or if I had been better off teaching a topic of my choice. I think it… >>>

participation

Everyone likes great food and personality. The meetings cant be boring or people won't come back. Gift cards and thank you are always good as well.

management

Establishing a great leader is key. The person leading the meeting must be well prepared and able to stay focused. They must be able to ask the right questions and a minutes taker must be present at all meetings.

Format of the advisory board.

Starting by reviewing the mission and goals works well. Developing a powerpoint presentation to touch on key objectives and issues has been very helpful. Giving out surveys for recommendations and feedback is also very helpful. Having the sign in sheet at the entrance to the meeting is crucial.

Advisory Board Curriculum Review Combo.

I have found that combining all programs (we have 8)for 2 annual Advisory Committee meetings per year and breaking up into specific program groups for curriculum review at the same meeting works well. We have all lead instructors, externship and career placement staff and management present at the meetings. We serve great food and give out starbucks gift cards. They love it! It is a great networking opprotunity for everyone. We have the meeting Friday evenings which seems to be the best time for everyones busy schedules. We also keep the meeting to an hour and a half, which usually… >>>

A Hybrid Online/In-Classroom Style

Does anyone have any informaton about a Hybrid course? My school is looking to start online programs, however, I have heard some information about Hybrid courses that offer a mix of in-class and online. I would like more information about how these kind of programs work. I am currently teaching the Anatomy/Physiology and Medical Terminology sections of a Medical Billing and Coding program and feel that this type of approach maybe the most benificial to our student base.

Student Resource Service

Is using a paid student resources service worth the price?

Budgets

How do you create a budget if the college did not have budget before?

Library

Can your Library be a Student Resource Center with limited supervision?

Student Services

How would you research all the different community services for students with life issues?

Increaseing Enrollments

Does it make more sense to test your online course with existing students and then market the new course to our of area students?

Developing online course content

What are the common problems in developing online course content for a industry where teaching is traditionally delivered on the ground?

Training of Students

What about the training of students regarding the basics of online learning? Before getting into online learning system.

Profitability of on-line courses and long term implications.

One of the primary discussions we've been having internally is whether offering on line courses will ultimately hurt our industry. The assumption is that on-line classes will be offered cheaper than our current course offerings. Some of our competitors are offing some of their courses for free. We are worried that our industry will get into the same trap that print media has gotten into that once you start giving it away, it is much harder to start charging-and unlike print media, selling ads mixed into your course-ware seems like a bad idea. Does anybody have any thoughts on the… >>>