Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Admissions/Marketing Training

What are the differences in training approaches for the Admissions/Marketing department when offering online classes versus traditional courses?

Peter, I think the major difference is articulating that online does not mean "easy." Sometimes in an effort to put a positive spin on online, the spin can be misleading.

Perhaps including some statements like, "Taking courses online will be especially helpful to those students who are good at managing their time," or "students who enjoy working independently." Or, "Our most successful online students report that..." and then list their characteristics or ways they have been able to be successful.

I think there are several myths that they need to break down first. I was very fortunate that my first experience to online was at a large university in Boston and the admissions department offered it to me as a way to solve a problem (I could not work, teach, and attend scheduled campuses 1.5 hours from my house 3 days a week). These myths are:
1) Online is easier.
2) You can spend less time.
3) You can take open book tests and thus always pass.
4) You do not have to maintain a schedule, you get it done as you want.

They need to understand that online is not a way to "avoid" going to class and doing work, it is not an easy way out. Online opens possibilities for additional students to receive a good education, those who do not have time, travel, ability to leave young children, or for whatever reason access to sit in a scheduled classroom course. Regardless it is still a class, a part of a program, and a part of a school.

An admissions department needs to realize that online breaks down a lot of barriers, but can also raise a few. If a student can't write, read, and communicate well they may not succeed online. I believe that an admissions counselor needs to understand and evaluate that. It is frustrating for students and instructors alike when the student can't keep up with online work through no fault of their own.

Motivation is a big part. Does the student want to learn or just "do my time"? The answer to this will affect the whole online class, I think more so than in the traditional classroom. I have sat in online classes and noticed students who do not participate and who just post one and two word answers to discussion boards. These students are trying to just skate through the classes - what will they actually learn?

Sorry for the long post, but it boils down to reputation and value of the diploma/certification/degree that your institution is offering. What happens if the student gets one (of the above) and keeps impressing employers with the lack of knowledge? Will the marketing department even have a job after a while? They need to screen students a little bit and avoid the four myths of online.

I would point to this:

http://www.onveon.com/articles/7-myths-about-online-learning.htm

as a resource.

-Chris

I agree with the other posts...It is very important that the Admissions counselors advise the students for the students' best interest, and not to "sell" them on online vs. ground program. It should be what the student is best suited for as a student. The online students I have had in the past were most successful when they went in to the class expecting it to be more work, not less. They were taking the class because of logistics; the ones looking for an easy A in Humanities simply dropped the course as the work-load actually was greater( in their estimation) than what was perceived to be in the traditional classroom. One of the most important aspects of taking a class online is that the students must be willing to sit down and do the work on a regular basis. If they do not make the class a priority in attending and submitting assignments, then they will not be successful in an online environment or for that matter, in a Face to Face class either. As an instructor, I would rather see more informed students, rather than simply a boost in online enrollment.

Hi,Vicki,
I really enjoyed reading all your posts. I'm so pleased to see how you integrate technology effectively even though you don't have online courses yet at your school. Good for you!

The challenge of training Admission/Marketing people on a new system is change. Training that does not pertain to their specific jobs will create resistance. Therefore, it will be very important how their training is presented.

Admissions/Marketing staff need to be convinced that their training is an honor, privilege or special. A lot of times by including all departments in an orientation of a new system or project makes them feel part of the company and not excluded.

Give the Admissions/Marketing staff one module or sample of how the new online system will work. Maybe have volunteers be part of a beta or test group.

Admissions will need to know how to sell online learning and Marketing people need to know how to generate excitement. Giving them special training or including them in the orientation with the others uses might be one approach to their training.

I believe the main concept of training admission would be for the admission representatives to understand that the concept of online still has attendance requirements, still requires students to submit work on time, and that starting a student late in a class often times put the student at a further disadvantage than if the student would wait until the next start. Sometimes, people believe that taking an online class is easier than sitting in a traditional classroom but that is not the case. For a student to perform well in an online class, they have to devote a great deal of time to the class and do all of the reading for themselves. There is not an instructor in front of them providing the information that is important for the student to remember for the test.

Chris, thanks for the thoughtful response. I truly think admissions people can "sell" a product more successfully if they truly understand it.

Participating in an on-line training course would provide the personnel with knowledge to enhance their marketing on-line education to prospective students.

One of the key selling points is enhancing productivity and flexibility that would otherwise not be made possible due to a multitude of committments that folks will utlimately have. That, to me, is the key selling point.

:-)

Mike

I believe that the admissions representatives should be online and computer literate in order to answer questions from potential students; such as the type of hardware needed to access the programs, cost per student versus tradition in class teaching.

Also, admissions should be familiar with accreditation for in class programs versus online teaching. If there are differences and the explanation of each.

Admissions department needs to realize that an online class is a great learning tool for students that can not attend “regular” classes due to work or other barriers. I truly believe that on line classes will work for the right student and will not work for the student that is under the belief online classes are a breeze. Self study is very hard for many because they must be self motivated.
Admissions and Marketing have jobs to do and are under the so called “gun” to enroll students. Training and complete understanding of what it takes is a must for all involved. This starts from the top and works down the “food chain”. I have seen this in the past and it is vital for all to work together in making it work. If not the school will not succeed and most importantly neither will the student.
Bottom line to all of this is very simple, “will the student gain from online training or not”.
It starts the first day the student walks through your doors!

Everyone should envolved should be trained. Admissions has this need to be able to evaluate students needs. Marketing needs to know how to market online classes.
What do you find is the best marketing avenue?

I love these ideas and look forward to presenting them to our committee. Only once have I taken an online course, and none of these things were explained. The course was ONLY available online, so I had no choice. It was confusing at first. After many phone calls to support, I was more comfortable with it. I will use this experience when we develop our program.

I totally agree, they need to have a good understanding of the product they are selling and the best way of doing that is by using it.

There are special needs for specific people, the idea is satisfy those needs through the correct channel. Admissions must recognize this meanwhile Marketing must focus how to market the online classes.

Thank you for your comments. My Admissions is strong at selling anything. I think the most important thing for our students will be to help students do part of their training without incurring traveling and lodging costs. Also for mothers to be able to do part of their at home will also save child care costs. My admissions representative need to be discerning with which students are good candidates for online education. This needs to be the focus of our training.

Flexibility has to one marketing tool used. These days people tend to be more busy and have various work schedules and online allows you to work when you can versus going to class at a specific time every week.

as promotiom officers, we may use the same promotions techniques to all market? the high school students are the strongest market or the adult students?

The Admission Staff HAVE to be trained to offer online courses because:
They must realize the needs of students, and it is probable that this does not happen face to face but through the chat.
They have to show to the students that an online course is not easier that a traditional course, the first one is more convenient and flexible that the second one.
They should know the pros and cons of using an online course and be able to convince students that this course meets your needs.They should know how the system works and be able to demonstrate to the prospective student can use it easily.

Sign In to comment