Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Marketing plans should change

this was a good tidbit…what works now may not work later…this was helpful to hear again...

Good Library Tips

It was terrific getting tips on the type of material needed to have a library that is responsive to the student's needs

i never thought of it

until reading about certain student services offerings that were possible, i never thought about having guest speakers visit our campus - so thanks for this

involving members of the community...

Great insights in involving members from the community in the planning process

open house

We have bring high school students to see your school and been amazing

weekend classes

weekend classes are the best way to use the same space and still have more students.

student service

Student services are as important as the program offerings. With the right student services your students are more likely to stay in school, graduate, and find employment.

planning and initial steps

I have found that casually speaking with students has given me ideas on where I want my school to go, and I have shared many of those ideas with my superiors.

Good budget for Financial Success

Understanding your campus budget will allow you to financial success. Campus Director need to be involved in the evolution of their campus budget. All campus function revolve around the budget and mastering the details to your budget will allow you campus to run effectively year over year. Also very important is to extend the budget out several years to understand your future. This will allow you to know in what direction to lead your campus and how to get it to grow effectively.

Social Networking

One of the things that I have considered using for the recruitment of instructor candidates is social media. I am pretty well connected in my area, and I use social media and networking to promote my private business. I would like to start using sources like this to advertise for open positions in our company. Is anyone else using social media to recruit instructors? What are somethings that works in recruitment of instructors? What doesn't work? I like the "Help Wanted Ad" section of this module, it has changed my perspective on how to write an advertisement.

All encompassing web based marketing strategy.

I would like to ask about thoughts on web based marketing to compliment radio, flier, billboard..etc. I was recently introduced to a company offering services that tie in with our website, scheduling software, emails and the like. They monitor responses, reviews, revenue, feedback, social media and local non competing businesses that may be an avenue for recruiting students. This day and age everything is via mobile devices, internet, and electronic paper. I would be interested in know if anyone else is doing this and how or if it works for them?

Execution

I am a Campus Director at a small school with an even smaller staff. My staff always has great ideas, and we definitely excel at the brainstorming and idea sharing activities. However, once we have great ideas and plans we struggle with implementation....who will do it? where do we have the time? how? does it sustain? etc. Anyone have any suggestions for stronger execution and follow-through?

se GANNT and PERT charts and specialized planning software

GANNT charts are simply bar code charts that show the progress of tasks within the larger project along with who is assigned to each. PERT charts are flow charts originally designed by the US Navy that arrive at similar outcomes albeit using a flow chart procedure. In short, using spreadsheets and graphing helps a team to see the big picture as progress is made (or not made) toward goals. One cannot argue with a bar graph or a trend-line base on real empirical data.

CE Courses vs Degree programs

The NY Times reports that "short vocational programs leading to a certificate are becoming the kudzu of the educational world. Instead of investing in a master’s, professionals itching to move up the career ladder can earn certificates in marketing strategies, credit analysis or even journalism." In an economy that increasingly rewards specialization, more and more institutions are offering these programs, typically a package of five or six courses, for credit or not, taken over three to 18 months. Some cost around $1000. But the NY Times asked "Are they worth the paper they’re printed on?" The answer was: Not always.

Establishing the Advisory Board for an Online School

If your program is to be offered online, the advisory board should be state-wide rather than local or regional since students will come from all over the state and perhaps even nationally. This requires a broader outlook for industry or professional needs and jobs outlook.

Internships v. externships

I work for a school that has an internship. The value of this is huge, our students are able, under instructor supervision, to practice their techniques in a safe and controlled environment. We provide them clients but it is up to them to determine how they will communicate with them. I have staff members that, when they went through school, did an externship. They werent always doing the work they trained for but rather other duties in the spa or clinic they were externing in. They didnt feel prepared for doing the work once they were hired on somewhere. I… >>>

5 year plan

I work for a large school group. When developing the 5 year plan committee is it suggested that we develope it at the campus level first then present it to our home offices? Historically speaking we have had our corporate directors and VP's working on this. Perhaps we could work collectively on the plan, include corporate indivduals and campus level individuals.

The Information Gathering Process

So far, we have compiled information on projected employment from national (BLS) and state sources. We have also gathered information on average and median starting salaries for graduates of the program. We know our competition throughout the state and in our immediate vicinity. We researched the programmatic accreditation and professional licensure requirements. We attempted to survey (by phone and email) various local facilities related to our program (possible employers and clinical sites), but did not get a sufficient response to be conclusive. Consequently, we are now working on creating a "Study Group" comprised of representatives from the community and the… >>>

The Advisory Board

Employers for relevant career areas. For instance we have multiple Programs that train office workers at multiple levels. We have some specialty programs that train Bookkeepers, Medical Office and IT skills that require separate Advisory Committees. They have all employed our graduates and feel like they have a stake in our Programs. In addition I like to have at least one member of the Alumni for that career field in each Advisory Committee. Our Operations Manager and an instructor act as host facilitator and recorder for their meetings. We also make provisions for Online Conference attendees to allow as many… >>>

Using Available Data

What surveys does your institution have in place? How can you use the current data? What new surveys and other research techniques do you have to put in place to gather data to make informed decisions about program development?