Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Externship for many vocational courses must become required

Externship for many courses plays an important role.

Work together

When the relashionship is good , you can put your brains together and find the best for your school never forget asking and never understimate anybody.

Getting Started

I recently was hired as the Director of Education and was asked to complete this module to help with the 5 year plan for our school. I am looking for some insight on where to begin, i.e. even before holding a brainstorming meeting. Who participates in a brainstroming meeting and is this group different from the Advisory Board? Thanks, Crystal

Serving distance learning students

What are some creative ways to better serve distance learning students??

Governing Boards

Is it appropriate to have the corporate offices also serving as the Trustees and as such the final arbiters of all decisions?

Competitive benefits and wages

What would be the most effective way to gather information on knowing if you school offers competitive wages and benefit packages?

Other Personal Characteristics

How much emphasis is placed on "personality" when hiring an instructor for your school?

Job Offer and Orientation

What are two goals for the instructor's first day?

Selection

What type of questions should never be asked during an interview?

Recruitment

Which method of recruitment has worked best for you?

Job Analysis

How are knowledge and skills different?

Orientation

Normally, I have already given the hired instructor a tour of the school and other information at the interview. For orientation, I introduce them to staff and faculty and provide them with a short powerpoint presentation.

Interviews

I enjoyed this module. I beleive that in facial interviews. I have done a couple over the phone, and I do beleive that those tend to not get a second interview. Perhaps there are techniques I can use for those type of interviews.

Qualified?

Even though I have an applicant that matches my KSAO and seems to be the best qualified, they sometimes turn out to be the worse instructors I have hired. Where can I find the best qualifed applicants?

What I look for...

When I interview instructors, I am looking for individuals that have the same personality and love for teaching that I have. The one question that always determine it for me is, I ask the potential instructor to tell me what three qualities would they put into a normal instructor to make them a great instructor. This normally tells me what kind of instructor they will become.

Physical Space

Our school facilities are sufficient at the moment but in two year we will be accredited and we predict an increment of our alumni by 50%. How can we stay in our same location and include more students? Thanks!

Yearly Plan vs. Five-year Plan

We do end of the year meetings to review our Yearly Plan but never have done it on a five-year Plan basis. Why is so important a 5 year-plan, besides giving a sense of being here for the long run, are there other benefits? Isn't a yearly plan more up to date? Which one is better? Thanks!

Recruitment

Has anybody tried job fairs to recruit instructors and if so how did that work for you. We use career builders and I got my job from the newspaper but in a market where professionals are somewhat scarce and due to the level of pay what can be done to increase interest.

Attributes

Some of the attributes I look for are a a well rounded person, who truly enjoys working with students. Someone who understands the needs of our students and how to relate to the demographic that we work with. I especially look for someone who can embrace change and is excited about it.

marketing

In identifying the ideal student this would allow a school to target marketing activitiy. What are some of you doing to capitalize on the HS market?