Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Conducting Job Interviews

We take special care to hire staff that we believe to possess the experience and educational background to perform the duties outlined in their job description. We practice a strict multi-phase hiring process for all hirings. This includes an initial resume screening, reference checks, and a series of interviews. If necessary, we administer a short competency exam (pertinent to their position) to verify a prospective employee’s skill level. Areas of deficiency are often addressed during the interview, in order to ensure the skill assessment accurately depicted the candidate’s proficiency.
1.phone interview
2.in-person interview to narrow down candidates
3.second interview to make a hiring decision

I have been using my own version of a RJP...I always paint both sides of the picture, but as outlined in this module...with a postive spin

The current procedure is to review the resume and invite the applicant to apply. The interview is scheduled following the applicant finishing the application.
After reviewing this module I can see that this process is a mistake. More time should be taken in the review of qualifications process and separate the application and interview schedule. I really liked the idea of having the applicant perform a lesson in front of a panel. That is a change that will be instituted immediately.

As a trade school have had applicant perform a lesson in front of faculty. Works well but must be able to different between being nervous and not knowing skills. Changes I will do is to take more time with interviews.

Good module learned a lot will take more time in the interview process.

WILLING TO TEACH THE BEST TO BENEFIT TO THE STUDENTS

The current procedure is to review the resume and invite the applicant to apply. The interview is scheduled following the applicant finishing the application.
After reviewing this module I can see that this process is a mistake. More time should be taken in the review of qualifications process and separate the application and interview schedule. I really liked the idea of having the applicant perform a lesson in front of a panel. That is a change that will be instituted immediately.

I enjoyed this module. I beleive that in facial interviews. I have done a couple over the phone, and I do beleive that those tend to not get a second interview. Perhaps there are techniques I can use for those type of interviews.

What type of questions should never be asked during an interview?

I would never ask about age. Iwould always put a spin on it like Do you know you have to stand for long hours. Would you have a probem doing that.

I am a firm believer in developing a structured process that is based on Behavior-Based interviews. Each question required the applicant to "Tell me about a time ..." that they actuallly have done something rather than asking them what they they might do in a given situation.

Our faculty hiring process also includes a "practice teach" to see how the applicant performs in front of people and a formal online third-party profile that determines if the applicant's thinking style and values match those determined to be best for our instructors. We only hire instructors with a high match.

Never ask anything that would allow you to determine that an applicant is in a protected class. Stay away from questions regarding age, gender, religion, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. The course content has some good examples of questions you can ask and should not ask.

Richard is on target here. Ask questions about the job. We cannot ask "Do you think you are young enough to do this job?" We can ask something like "This job requires that the instructor be on the go for four hours each evening. Do you believe you can do that?"

What we like to do after the initial interview is if we feel good about the applicant we ask them to come back a second time and become a guest speaker for the department in which they may be hired. It gives us an indication of what to expect later, it also shows us interaction with our current student body, this has worked very well for us so far and the students get to hear from someone who is in their field of study. It kind of kills two birds at the same time, the working interview and bringing in guest speakers for our students. What I will do differently from now on is not talk as much as I have been talking during the interview.

What current techniques and procedures do you use to you conduct job interviews and what changes might you make as a result of this module?

Sign In to comment