Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Outsourcing Cost-Model

Assuming you already operated a succesful "bricks-and-mortar" post-secondary institutuion; What would be the cost of the initial investment to create a blended program using vendors for all aspects of your online course developement and delivery? What are the costs to maintain such a program after the initial launch?

This is an awfully big question that I do not think can have one single answer. I answer this as I am working on such a project right now.

To take a 60/40 shop/lecture ratio course to an online environment is turning out to be a lot of work - rewriting much of the course content. We are outsourcing our course management system so are not hosting internally. But the real cost may come in time it takes to change the material from a classroom delivery to an online delivery. Initially we looked at just uploading powerpoints as pdf documents, adding discussion questions, and so-on. We found out very quickly that this will not work. We have to present the material on-line in much the same way, with the same interaction as we do in the classroom.

You major investment may be time:
1) can your existing faculty do the work around their already busy schedules?
2) do they have the skills?
3) have they ever taken a great online course?

-Chris

Thanks for the input Chris. I would have to agree that one of the biggest expenses for any school creating an online program, is the time spent by Admin., Faculty, and Staff devising the structure around course content, implementation etc.

Thanks for the input.

Chris Molnar is correct--this is a big question with many variables. It sounds as if you want a blended program, so I'd need to know how much do you want "online?" Do you want just a few learning objects? Do you need a learning management system?

There are vendors that provide hosting, which means you can use their servers (usually a monthly fee) and tech support (there are levels of tech support as well on a fee scale). Some provide use of a learning management system (for a fee). These fees can be charged per student enrolled or a monthly or yearly access fee. You'd have to supply the vendor with number of enrollments you expect to have monthly/yearly and what level of tech support you require.

Producing (creating/developing) online materials is the time eater, but there are many sources of previously developed materials--matching these to learning outcomes takes time.

I agree with Chris and Linda about the depth of the question and it really depends on the subject, curriculum & tools. Our program is very lab heavy and we are looking to create a hybrid from that. We are already working with our text book publishers to create a single book for our program that uses only the text necessary (from several different sources). The publisher has the copy rights to do that for us which saves a lot in individual book costs. That also sets us up to provide an electronic book for our students, saving even more money. I agree that the time is probably the biggest factor and teachers who already want more money for the extra work that they put in grading papers will most likely fight the change, however with the proper training and time management, faculty should be able to monitor forums and maintain order with ease.

Brian, custom books and hybrid courses (especially lab heavy courses) are almost always the best path. The hybrid approach often leads to greater retention as well. Thanks for participating.

Sign In to comment