Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I.E.P vs. 5 year plan

How does an Institutional Effectiveness Plan compare with a 5 year plan?

What essential components can be found in both and what areas are unique to each plan?

Very good question, Peter. We feel a five year plan can be used to build an Institutional Effectiveness Plan. The five year plan document is like a worksheet to figure out options, obstacles, growth opportunities, tasks, timelines, deadlines for every area of the school. We have seen the information for a five year plan used for marketing and business plans as well. We worked with a school owner who used the 5 year plan to build a 100 page planning document that she still uses. Lots of uses including the IEP. Thanks, Susan

Thank you for the input and timely response.

Your welcome. Please continue to share how you use the five year planning exercise to create a meaningful and work-able IEP. Susan

As the lead on our IEP, I find it significantly useful in analyazing historical data. I use this data to determine what we did or did not do, in the prior year, to obtain results needed to make annual changes in our future planning.

The IEP covers all areas of operation: student services, education, placement, retention, student satisfaction and employer satisfaction. I think its' a good foundation for extended planning.

Hi Judith, Sounds like you depend a lot on outcomes assessment data. That's great. Schools typically forget all about a comprehensive outcomes assessment plan. And certainly what to do with the results. We agree that the more you know about what is happening - the good and the bad - the more effectively you can plan. And continue to measure. Thanks, Susan

Both plans focus on goal attainment in several areas that will benefit the school as whole. Whereas, the I.E.P is specific to a cohort period of typically one year, in seeking improvement in 5 functional areas, a 5 year plan focuses on growth plans for the immediate 5 year period.

Gabriel,

Very good points and important to differentiate when there are specific regulatory requests. Maybe it is also about a "planning" state of mind. We like to encourage employee ideas. We need to focus on growth and change. But any idea needs to be implemented within the context of some kind of plan and feasibility study. An example is deciding on adding a new program. Many school owners jump at saying "yes" without a feasibility and plan. Is the program really needed in the community and will there be jobs for grads now and in the future? That takes more than a few opinions. It takes informed decision making. If the study determines that the program is needed, then a measurable plan needs to be put in place to ensure that tasks, timelines, deadlines, and budget are all in order and there are plans in place to measure "how are we doing?" Nothing is easy anymore, is it? Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment