Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What Makes an Effective Orientation Program?

Since many of my faculty are adjuncts, the process can take time....I prepare a packet and review that after hiring...I have books and syllibi/LP's ready...I have a Program Director tour the new hire and assist with equipment. I pair them with a seasoned mentor (FT) instrutor

New instructors must complete all forms for the Texas Workforce Commission and
the ACICS accrediting commission upon being hired. In addition a packet with employee payroll forms is completed usually on the first day or at the time instructor is offered the
position.

After all the necessary paperwork is filled out
they are then given course syllabi for the
courses they will be teaching. IBC has uniform
syllabi for both of our campuses and instructor
follow the syllabi. The course calendar and
the instructors' rules for the classes is
up to the instructor.

Every new instructor is also given an employee
policy manual they must read and a
Instructor's policy manual along with the school
catalog.

Procedures for entering grades in the computer
and taking daily attendance must be explained
initially to all instructors. Courses taught
during the day are 6 weeks long. Therefore
each and every day must be meaningful to the
student. Prerequisities are also explained
in the course catalog for the college.

The new instructor will shadow an incumbent
instructor or when who has been with the college
several years and who will set a good example and
help with the orientation process.

The Academic Dean is responsible for follow-up
in assuring that the new instructor's questions
regarding school policy and classes are answered.

The new instructor will sit in on classes and
will review textbook and material before he or
she is given her own classroom and students.

I think I am the guy that is being talked about in the text. I have not really put together a viable orientation program and after going through this module I can see where that aspect is very important to the overall process.

What are two tasks
for the instructor's first day?

New hires are given packet on dutys. We also have then set in class take notes on diffent styles of teaching by diffent instructors for about a week before we turn them on there own.

We use most of the techniques discussed in the course. In addition. we have developed an online course that all new faculty members are required to complete, preferably before they are in front of the class for the first time. This course is divided into three sections.

The first addresses the history and culture of our school. The second reviews the basic policies and procedures under which our faculty members function. The third is a very basic methods course that focuses on being preparred for class.

Each faculty member also completes three additional modules by the end of his or her second term with us. These modules cover fundamental teaching techniques including student-centered learning, teaching to multiple intelligences, active learning strategies and asking good questions.

Instructors are briedef on all university policies and procesures. The instructors also sign a contract that spells out their duties.

Minerva,

Thanks for the post. What are the major duties of your faculty members? Do you have defined "duties" that are unique to your organization that you can share?

Our instructors will meet with our Director on the first day and discuss some strategies that lead to becoming a successful instructor. After that they shadow the department supevisor who will lead them around on a formal campus tour and to meet as many of the staff as possible. The rest of day one is pretty much mingling with co-workers gettting to know everyone and beginning to understand our student population.
A couple of items I believe that are crucial to the orientation process is that the new hire feels welcomed and needed. Also that the new hire fully understands our philosophy of why we do the things we do here at our school. If you can get them to understand or buy into our ways of thinking and philosophies the sooner they will become a bonified productive team member.

Thanks Scott! This is a process that I hope many of ED201 participants will read and implement. Equal to a faculty member becoming an effective instructor is becoming an effective and supportive team member - one that reflects and emulates the mission of the school.

Jay
ED201 Guest Facilitator

What type of orientation do new instructors receive at your school? What components do you believe are crucial to an effective orientation program or process?

A typical orientation at our school consists of a tour of the facility, and instroduction to all other instructors, a review with the instructor of our primary goal at the school and what is expected of them. They are given an opportunity to ask any questions and/or make any suggestions. We have a photo and information book that we have compiled of past classes and students that have graduated so they can get a glimpse of the surroundings and techniques of how we teach before ever even entering the classroom.

Thanks, Charles,

Research shows that successful orientation programs last well into a student's first year of school. The one or two days that most folks use for orientation often provides "information overlaod" for new students. They really do not grasp all that they are being told.

One effective program that I have seen was set up so students in a new cohort met with different folks from the school, usually at least twice, during their first 24 weeks in the program. Meetings were scheduled every second or third week.

Relationships were build and questions were answered.

Interactive on hands training introductions to all staff. orientation to entire facilty and to specific department with follow up contacts when needed.

Sign In to comment