Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

LMS flexibility – adaptability – options?

For those that have worked with, or at least looked at LMS systems, what are their flexibility, adaptability, and options?

I once wrote a spread sheet for a school to do grades. Surveying my fellow instructors I got requests for “straight grades”, “drop the lowest quiz score”, “push the highest score to 100 and move all other scores up by the same amount”, and “let me add points to all students”. (I was able to provide all these options)

Do any LMS have flexibility in any of their functions? My experience with any computerized learning tools is inflexibility.

Regards,

Terry

eCollege, from the training I've had, has the greatest flexiblity.

Our program also uses eCollege. Our online coordinator works very hard to calculate points and grades so that they work with the gradebook, that all the points add up, and that they are calculated by the system automatically. He is able to manage everything on eCollege.

We are currently using Blackboard. Regarding grades input flexibility, Balckboard allows for clearing the score, allowing additional attempts,grades manual input, averaging scores and many other features related to the gradebook control. Its basic functions are useful and flexible for instructors.

Micheline,
The Blackboard Grade Book provides a good series of functions and applications for online instruction. Some basic elements of a good LMS grading application include being tied to learning outcomes and assessing how successful the student has been in achieving the outcomes, providing mechanisms for timely feedback and providing a structure that is flexible enough for faculty input and modification.
Dr. Roehrich

Sign In to comment