Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How do you determine?

How do you determine which student are good canidates for an online program? Also, when a student attends school and they fall out of SAP we usually put them on a probation period of 30 days how can you implement the same rules to your online students?

Allison-I'm an online coordinator, so let me give you some of my ideas.

1) A good online candidate understands basic technology (we actually do a survey and tech checkup to make sure they know what they are doing, and have everything the need). Also, they need to be able to focus, because it is much easier to come into a class on ground for an hour, than to sit in your living room for an hour and focus. Give them some assignments during the enrollment period (like send me a picture, fill out this sheet, go here) and see how they do, and how quickly they do it.

2) As for SAP, we give out letters and then do updates from the teachers. They give us weekly progress reports (short ones) and then larger ones at mid-term and two weeks before finals. That way we can estimate GPA and if they are going to have to repeat again. Then, if they do fail again, we sit them out for a quarter.

Or how about students that at sick, or don't have reliable transportation, or are in a wheelchair, or are traveling, or are moving or have young children without babysitters? All ideal candidates, no?

Sign In to comment