Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Resource Service

Is using a paid student resources service worth the price?

Can you explain your question a bit more or give examples of how you use or would use student resources services? thanks, Susan

Sure, the particular service I am researching provides 24/7 service that would be free to the students and staff to use, as long as they are associated with the company. It offers help with professional assistance and resources such as counseling (which would includes face to face counseling and coaching sessions), help with housing issues, childcare, financial resource assistance, legal assistance, assistance, transportation and health care assistance. I believe this paid service would be a benefit to our student body and staff. I am looking for someone that could give me feeding back on their experiences with this type of service.

Interesting Karon. We have two immediate reactions. One is it what your students want and need? Have you asked them? The other--is it a fit for career school students? Often what they need is early intervention and consistent and persistent attention. Usually best by their instructors, fellow students, or alumni who return to school to help out. These are the issues career students face. But we feel that people right at school need to be the ones to help out. There can be emergency numbers 24/7 if you think there is a need. That's our opinion. Would love to hear other opinions. Susan

Good afternoon,

I think that a comprehensive orientation of the student toward a proper understanding of the course may lead her/him to adapt and complete the program

Sincerely

vidal,
We very much agree of the importance of a comprehensive orientation. In fact many believe that the depth and breadth of the orientation is directly related to student retention. Often orientation programs are held over several days. Or sometimes orientation classes are held the first term. Focus is on assisting each student to develop coping and success skills customized to their needs. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

We currently have an extensive student services program, but we are finding that our students require resources outside of our ability to offer. Specifically, housing assistance, counseling, etc. We provide an ear for listening and nurturing and contact information for programs, etc., but we are finding that many do not have the skills to follow through and benefit.

We too, have considered an outside source as an added benefit. What are your thoughts?

Jeannie,
This is an interesting situation. Institutions deal with housing in a variety ways. There isn't a right or wrong way - just what is best for your school and students. You can arrange housing with local motels, depending on how long the programs are. You can arrange housing with local rental apartments that are affordable and safe and have flexible leases. There are also companies that handle housing but not in every community. A bit of trial and error and it should be fairly easy to get a housing solution. Perhaps your institution is a destination school and you could market to areas at a distance once you have a housing solution in place. Most schools have professional counselors they can contact in the community. Catalogs usually indicate the limitations of your counseling services and that the school can reoommmend professionals. What is important is full disclosure re costs and also what your staff can legally do. Hand holding and a nuturing ear from all faculty and staff is important but everyone needs to know what the liabilities are. Thanks for pointing this out. Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment