Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being asked to teach a short class

On several occasions, during the interview process, I was asked to provide a short teaching example. I believe this is a legitimate way to assess an applicant's abilities to fulfill the role of instructor. I was given the topic of my lecture by the hiring institution, and was not allowed to choose my preferred topic. And although there were several staff observing my presentation, the students were also allowed to "rate" me. I am not sure to what extent the student's opinions were calculated, or if I had been better off teaching a topic of my choice. I think it is important that the applicant be given the opportunity to teach from several choice options, and also have it be clear to what extent the student evaluation will play in the hiring decision.

Joshua,

Several schools use the "practice teach" as part of the hiring process. What makes your different is the fact that you have students participate. It is an interesting approach.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I do an initial interview where I ask questions about their teaching beliefs and styles. I also give them hypothetical situations in regards to classroom management and supporting students and then evaluate their responses. If they do well in the initial interview, then I set up a "teachback". The applicant comes in and does a 20 minute lecture on a topic that was chosen for them. This is usually presented before several of my current instructors and myself.

Sign In to comment