Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

management

Establishing a great leader is key. The person leading the meeting must be well prepared and able to stay focused. They must be able to ask the right questions and a minutes taker must be present at all meetings.

I agree, a good leader is key. Also, a good leader listens and reflects on feedback given by board members.

Marty,
Beyond listening well, a good leader needs to understand board dynamics and anticipate what the board members need I order to make effective decisions. For example, when reporting enrollment numbers give the board specific breakouts, e.g. by demographic groupings, traditional non-tradional students, by certificate, degree and transfers, etc. Board members respond to seeing dashboards that are easy to understand and that uncomplicate the analysis for decision making.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

The most important task of a leader is keeping the meeting on track while valuing the input of the members. This is especially important in the breakouts, so I also assign a strong chair to keep things on track. The minute takers are tasked with making sure all questions are addressed and to keep things moving.

Linda,

Sounds like you are on track.

Dr. Robert Roehrich

before you can lead others, you have first to become a leader of self. Qualities that develop relationships based on trust and dependability are, clarity, focus and a strong ability to listen.

Arriving at a target requires us to take A.I.M.

A is for positive ATTITUDE.

I is for focused INTENTION

M is for MESSAGE, clear communication.

These qualities are vital in building a community that can offer sound advice.

Michael,
While these acronyms are good memory pegs, the qualities of leadership are much more complex. Although conceptually, I do agree with the implication that you have to "...become a leader of self." Here are three key behaviors of a good leader: thinking, acting and influencing. Thinking about the organization (including its personnel)in a way that establishes it's core values, mission, goals, direction, etc. Acting in a way that demonstrates a commitment to those values, goals and directions, i.e. "Walking the Talk" and communicating it in an open and trusting manner. Finally, influencing, which is perhaps the key to leading any group. This is where the leader influences the behaviors of the organization, but does not take control or direct individuals in a "command and control" sense. In the influencing stage of leadership, relationships are formed, teams are strengthened and goals are achieved by the collective responses of all individuals which emanate from the influence of the leader.
Thoughts?
Dr. Robert Roehrich

In my opinion, to become a really good leader you must have deep knowledge of whatever you are leading. In that respect, shouldn't the chair be deeply familiarized with the institution from all points of view. I mean, this is probably a must for all embers to fulfill their mission, but particularly for the chair.

Ignacio,
Yes, it is important and increases the effectiveness of your board if all board members are familiar with the institution and feel they have a vested interested it its success. It is particularly important for them to be engaged with the institution through and understanding of its mission, vision, core values and strategic plans. In addition, it is crucial for the chair to maintain regular communications with the president, at minimum monthly, and to be regularly apprised of key issues affecting the institution. If the chair is aware of issues in a timely manner, he/she can position the issue for the board to be proactive rather than reactive. The chair can also determine to what degree the board needs to be involved in areas that may impact the board's decision making.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

The leader must keep everyone on task and focused on what needs to get done.

Troy,
This can be best facilitated by having a SharePoint site for your boards where information about meetings, agendas and support materials can be posted in advance of your meetings so members come prepared to participate in a time efficient manner.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

I completely agree, we have several committees whose chairs were selected carefully. Not only must they be focused and able to keep the meeting on track, but be very organized, knowledgeable and great peace keepers. The ability to communicate politely is paramount, especially when a discussion gets off track, other members begin to argue in a non-productive way, or if a member is not participating. My chairs now get together and swap ideas and tactics they use in meetings, very effective.

Mary,
Sounds like you have a good system in place. The only thing I would add is that the members should receive a copy of the meeting summary within a week of the meeting, while it is still fresh in their minds. Also use these summaries as a way to refresh their memories when you send out information for the next upcoming meeting.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Another very important key point I see in our board meetings is time. Adhere to the agenda. My biggest complaint is members getting off track causing to meeting to exceed. Anyone have any advice how prevent and improve?

Sign In to comment