Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Format of the advisory board.

Starting by reviewing the mission and goals works well. Developing a powerpoint presentation to touch on key objectives and issues has been very helpful. Giving out surveys for recommendations and feedback is also very helpful. Having the sign in sheet at the entrance to the meeting is crucial.

Stacey, we are both on the same page....I do all this as well...During the presentation the Campus Director gives an update of changes impacting the school, reviews the mission statement, I go over the objectives, introductions and changes made as a result of previous meeting and Career Services and Extern Coord also speak and share the value of using and employing our students

Linda,
It appears that you are on the right track, the only other thing I would suggest is rotating your team in-front of the advisory members so they get a feel for the entire campus, not just their specialty.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Linda,
It appears that you are on the right track, the only other thing I would suggest is rotating your team in-front of the advisory members so they get a feel for the entire campus, not just their specialty.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

At each of our advisory meetings, we open with a quick review of our school's mission, goals, and purpose, all in a PP presentation. Since we are a small school and have very specialized programs, we review all curriculum changes with the members associated with each program. This time is especially valuable to us as our program directors and instructors get feedback from other experts in the field. This allows time to explain accreditation requirements and instruction processes. All of our curriculum is original and developed from within so additional input is invaluable. Our surveys work best when emailed to the members. They complete these the next day with great comments, it seems giving them extra time to digest the material and meeting provides great insight.

Mary,
Sounds like an effective technique and it appears to be drawing the type of participation you're expecting from your advisory board. As you expressed above, be sure to regularly let the members know how valuable their input is and how much you appreciate their time and contributions. Sending out the surveys via email is a great way to stimulate their comments prior to the meetings and should provide additional talking point, be sure there is enough lead time for them to read and digest the information you're sending out. Speaking from experience, it's frustrating to a board member to get meeting materials with short notice for a response.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

PowerPoint I feel has pros and cons. Can lie distracting from the facts. I'm old school documentation in had . Maybe utilize both.

Brooke,
Because you seem skeptical about PowerPoint presentations, you can certainly use both PowerPoint and handouts of the same data. You should be the person who does the final review of content and format for board presentations a to ensure that you are comfortable with the integrity of the information being presented. Regarding format, I suggest opening with a quick review of your mission, goals, and purposes, followed by the meeting agenda. If you control the agenda and the data being presented, that should eliminate your concern over inaccurate information or distracting facts. You can then provide the board with a summary of the data presented by sending out an email or summary letter with accurate information that supports what was presented at the meeting.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment