Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A Hybrid Online/In-Classroom Style

Does anyone have any informaton about a Hybrid course? My school is looking to start online programs, however, I have heard some information about Hybrid courses that offer a mix of in-class and online. I would like more information about how these kind of programs work. I am currently teaching the Anatomy/Physiology and Medical Terminology sections of a Medical Billing and Coding program and feel that this type of approach maybe the most benificial to our student base.

Robin -
You may want to read the article at the following link: http://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/Publication.asp?UID=872.

It reflects on a couple of recent community college studies with promising results for the student demographic your programs will likely encounter. The study is primarily about hybrid programs (some online classes/some f2f classes) but the hybrid class model has been successful in much the same way.

Hope this helps.
David

I work for a small college specializing in engineering. We do have hybrid courses. Some engineering classes are offered on line and the students meet in the classrooms to proceed with the labs required for the courses. Also our students are mostly adults, so they can manage their time with work and college.

Have you experienced any problems associated with the hybrid courses? I think the idea makes a lot of sense. For the course in Anatomy, I believe our current "lecture" portion would easily transfer to the online format, whereas the palpation portion -- during which students locate and isolate the structure presented in lecture -- would be best done f2f, and it seems that trying to guide a student through palpation online would require really sophisticated graphics. Has anyone tried requiring students to go to another website to access another learning tool, e.g. an animated anatomy illustration application?

Some accrediting agencies have limits to how much of the course can be online and how much needs to be face to face. Example: The National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork allows for up to 60% online and mandatory 40% F2F.

In other professions I am pretty sure they allow for more online instruction. Obviously, with massage instruction F2F is critical during practice.

It makes a lot of sense for all theory to be online.

Do you have issues with the completion of coursework in a timely manner? What about course completion rate?
Thanks for your reply!

Sign In to comment