Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advisory Board Curriculum Review Combo.

I have found that combining all programs (we have 8)for 2 annual Advisory Committee meetings per year and breaking up into specific program groups for curriculum review at the same meeting works well. We have all lead instructors, externship and career placement staff and management present at the meetings. We serve great food and give out starbucks gift cards. They love it! It is a great networking opprotunity for everyone. We have the meeting Friday evenings which seems to be the best time for everyones busy schedules. We also keep the meeting to an hour and a half, which usually runs into 2 and a half because it often turns into a party of sorts. We have a fantastic group of members, which was the initial challenge, but once you find the right people, make it worth their while, and develope relationships it becomes much easier. It is a very valuable tool in many ways.

This is exactly how I have been doing it as well....everyone gathers for the presentation in which I review what has been changed as a result of the previous meeting. This way members can see how they contributed. Than groups are broken out in respective labs to assess equipment, books, etc. It is a lot of work to plan but the results are worth it.

Linda,
Congratulations! This way you have the opportunity to keep your members up-to-date on changes and adjustments resulting from their input.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Linda,
Congratulations! This way you have the opportunity to keep your members up-to-date on changes and adjustments resulting from their input.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Linda,
Dr. Robert Roehrich

We are a smaller school and have less programs. How would you handle this if an advisory member oversees more than one program? When you break into groups, I would not want a member to miss anything from each of the groups. Thanks!

Mary,
Have you considered having a faculty member sit in on one of the groups? With the a little preparation, one of your best faculty would probably embrace the opportunity to interact with the advisory group. Just have the program administrator generate a list of discussion topics and ask the faculty member to take notes on the discussion. Follow up with a debrief the next morning.
Dr. Robert Roehrich

Sign In to comment