Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Time-Wasters

Please provide an example of a personal "time-waster." How have you in the past (or might you in the future) minimize(d) personal time-wasters?

Not accurately estimating how long a task will take. Then finding that I must stop due to other priorities. Time wasted due to the start/stop.
I could limit wasted in the future by spending the time to better strategize and organize approach

I have a lot of drive buys and conduct a few myself. Given the limited availability of some colleagues, it is beneficial to conduct them, however because it may have been a few weeks between passings, the discussion will almost always get into personal discussions which take up unnecessary time.

Thanks, Shawn.

What are some things you do to try to keep the drive-bys more focused on the important goals?

Most of the time drive buys are opportunities to find out the status of aligned initiatives and are opportunities to gather information regarding other projects that I might be working on. I try and keep the personal chatter to a minimum. If it gets overbearing, I claim “Meeting” and escape the environment!

In the past, when my schedule was overloaded, I would try to handle everything and get bogged down. This resulted in projects been completed late and frustration from the heavy work load. I will now try to delegate work to others and learn when to say no when the work load gets too high.

Valerie,

The ability to say "no" without feeling guilty is something many of us have had trouble developing. Not saying "no" can really lead to frustration as we fall father and farther behind.

I have found that saying "not right now" works pretty well. I often let the person who asked for help know when they should check back with me. Sometimes their time frame does not match my availability, so they find other ways to accomplish the goal.

Shawn,

Many organizations are having success with project management software that team members can update. It limits the need for drive-bys to get status updates.

A personal time-waster for me,is staying on top of the facebook, e-mail and texting tasks. I know that these items should not take up too much of my time. Yet, personally they do. And with work places communicating by email, I feel that if I'm not checking, I may miss out on some important info. However, I would like to note that this is a personal time waster not a time waster at work. I only concern myself with my work email at work.

Thanks, Susan.

Not many people have the self-discipline to keep their personal email and other social networking "responsibilities" from creeping into their work day. A recent study on "Net Generation" workers found that many do not try to keep them separate.

It may be helpful to give yourself two 15-20 minute breaks during the day so that you can check these things so that you do not feel like you are missing anything.These could be your "coffee breaks"

I agree that this could help. I feel though that for the social networking sites, this may be a challenge to do. Sometimes you miss a lot in the conversation.

My biggest personal "time-waster" is starting and stopping projects due to unscheduled interuptions from staff and students; although these interuptions go with the territory of my job. Going forward, I will schedule time for these high priority projects when the majority of students & staff are in class. Also, when necessary, I will close my office door as to limit distractions.

These are good strategies, Scott. When I was a Dean, I found that working for a few hours once in a while on a Staurday or during the evening shift when there were fewer folks in the building helped me to get more done in less time. That way, there were fewer times that I had to close my door when students or faculty needed to see me.

For me, the biggest thing that I waste time with is internet surfing. I do not really surf for anything specific, just seeing what is out there. I tend to do this more when I am trying to put off things I am not really into doing. I get my work completed on time and accurately, but I seem to lose time to the internet.

I have never really tried minimize time wasters in my life because I always meet my deadlines and responsibilities. I might do something about time wasters if I got into a habit of not meeting my responsibilities, but I have no issues with that.

Kenny,

Many folks, including me, find the Internet to be a distraction at work. I have found that taking a surfing break, (simultaneous with my coffee break, a couple of times a day gives me my "surfing fix." Other than that, I try to keep my web browser closed.

I too, underestimate how long it REALLY takes to complete a task, even everyday, routine tasks. This topic reminds me of a funny but pointed story....My Mom bakes a lot of muffins, but she burns them almost every time! If the directions say that the muffins need to bake for 12-16 minutes, she'll set her kitchen timer for 16 minutes, only to find that the muffins are already burned. I think to myself, "How many times do you have to burn the muffins before you realize that you are cooking them too long?!?" If I apply the "muffin concept" to my own personal and work life, I could say, "How many times do I have to do _________ (fill in the blank) before I realize that it takes me twice as long as I think it will?!?"

To remedy this, I need to honestly and accurately PLAN more time (even extra time!) for every task, then JUST DO IT!

Biggest time wasters for me is unscheduled visits from coworkers and students. I work at a very small school so I know everyone. Students and coworkers like to come by and chat about non work related things. I find myself getting caught up in it because I feel I would be rude to turn them away. After going through the course, I feel like I will be more comfortable to shut my office door at certain times to keep the visits down and complete my tasks and work.

Thanks, David.

I was in the same position as you when I was a Dean. I found two things to be helpful. Once per week or so, I would work from home a few hours before coming into the school. I found that I could do more in those two hours than I could in three or four at the school because there were no interruptions.

I also blocked out time on my calendar for important projects. That way, I had "an appointment" and was unavailabe.

I always made sure someone was available to work with students who needed immediate assistance during these periods.

Thanks, Tracy.

Steve Covey writes about a logger that is less productive at the end of the day because he will not stop cutting trees long enough to sharpen the saw. Developing a plan is equivalent to sharpening the saw. By taking that time, we will save time in the long run.

I do a lot of stops and starts throughout the day. This is mostly due to the fact that I have instant messaging for work. I am showing as available which allows anyone to start a conversation. I also have trouble sticking to one thing for anything more than 15 min and I need to take a break from it and think about other things. It helps refresh my mind.

Sign In to comment