Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leading By Example

This was a great reminder to me to lead by example not by emotion.

I agree...I am trying to start fresh and lead by example as well. Good Luck !

Leading by example is very important. I recently had a new procedure come down the wire from corporate that all employees had to do. I heard all the grumblings and even had a few myself. However, I did not let my employees hear my reservations and did what was asked. Before long it became part of my regular tasks and all my employees got on board with minimal drama.

I think it all has to do with change. None of us really like change to be made to our routines. We get stuck in our ruts and when corporate hands down new edicts we resent the upcoming changes to our behavior. I like Nate's example of keeping his opinions to himself while presenting the procedure to his people. Grumbling just causes the grumblers to have more weight than is necessary.

I work in a university environment with small departments handling a variety of duties for student and faculty services. Sometimes I get complaints from student services personnel regarding another department's ways of operating and how it affects individuals personally, and their ability to do their jobs. I try to help these individuals see the "big picture" to analyze the "why" of processes, and the pressures that others are under to perform, prompting their behaviors. Once an understanding is reached, usually the attitudes are modified. Sometimes you must, even if you don't agree with how things are done, appreciate the larger outcomes. If you have this understanding, it is easier to cope with whatever disconnects occur within your own professional world. I find explanation to be most effective, and the explanation serves as a training exercise.

I am an instructor in a college environment. In many situations and work environments, we all need these reminders!

I am a firm believer in Leading by example. How can you expect your staff to achieve their goals with modeling the behavior you are trying to encourage. This may be challenging at sometimes but is essential for ultimate success.

That's a good reminder! Thanks!

I am a firm believer in leading by example. I believe everyone is a leader and has capabilities in leading. By leading by example others will respect you and aspire to be like you. We can all learn from one another and if you lead the right way others are sure to follow.

With the course I teach it is "VERY" important to lead by example. With dealing with clients in real life, I want my students to be completely professional.

It's easier to apply in other sectors, I think. In this environment, leading by example is striving to display the highest possible ethics and values, and presenting the most professional appearance at all times. Even little slips are reflected quickly by those around us.

I always look in the Mirror by my office door before I walk out......

I always try to remember that students and staff are always watching. We are the examples on how students will handle themselves later on in life. We need to always practice conscious use of self.

I agree with you, we all need to lead by example. If we do not lead by example, how can we expect our employees to look up to us as managers and supervisors? How can we expect them to imitate ethical behaviour, if we are not being an example?

Same here! When teaching para-professional courses, it is important to maintain a professional atmosphere.

Exactly. Don't let everyone else know that you think it stinks too. That just adds more fuel to the fire.

Leading by example is the best form of charachter building, for self and others. Some may not know what is expected, others try to avoid what is expected, your leading by example brings light to both.

Sign In to comment