Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Prioritizing!

How do you prioritize your goals and tasks?

First I identify what needs to be done and then I prioritize my tasks
Second I sequence and strategize my approach

Thank you, David. What factors do you consider when you are strategizing your approach?

First I assign a ranking priority to my tasks.
Group A are critical tasks
Group B are enabling tasks
And Group C are my nice-to-haves

Thank you, David.

Once you break your tasks down to these three areas, how do you rank them within each area? In other words, how do you decide which critical task outweighs the other critical tasks?

Usually which ever one has the soonest due date!

I do the same thing however, once I have identified and prioritized my tasks, I have a continues flow of distractions which interrupt my planed day. I have found that it is very important to create time in the day for "Scheduled interruptions"

Jeff,

We absolutely need to plan for unplanned interruptions in order to be effective. I work with folks who schedule themselves all eight hours. They are frustrated by interruptions and those that have meetings with them are frustrated when they are late because one of the earlier meetings ran over.

I keep a running list in Outlook, I set reminders dependent on preparation time. I review the tasks each day and determine which are crucial for that day and I snooze the others to a later time or re-evaluate the dates I have set that they are due.

Thanks, Steve. Is there one thing that just keeps getting in the way of others?

I prioritize my goals and tasks by making a To Do list. I write down the items that needs to be done for the day. Once I have figured out the tasks and goals for the day, I go back through the list and prioritize what is most critical then enabling and finally nice to have done. Sometimes I put down a couple of simple tasks on the To DO list just to keep me going with the other tasks and I get to cross it off my list, for example lunch or check voice messages at a certain time.

Thanks, Jennifer. I also like to put things like lunch or check voice mails on my list. It helps me to feel like I am getting things done, even on tough days.

I prioritize my tasks also. I then try to plan time for issues that may arise. If issues do not arise i then use my time to complete more tasks.

Thanks, Ronnie. Building in the time to address issues that are not always "schedulable" is an important part of effective time management.

Email!! I receive 60 to 100 pieces a day. Since I am in communication with 100+ people on two different shifts, in 3 different time zones and do not have the opportunity to speak to each individually, I need to stay on top of that communication tool. However, knowing how to use Outlook does help with its ability to easily schedule appointments/tasks and set rules for incoming mail. I am the only person I know that has maxed out the number of rules that can be run at one time. I will continue to work on more effective management of this challenge.

Thank you, Steve.

I ask myself exactly what I need to do in order to accomplish my goal. This means that I work it out on paper before I do anything else.I also figure out each little task that needs to be completed in order for my goal to work.

Thank you, Morgan.

Once you have everything you need written down, how do you decide which items become the top priorties?

First I identify what needs to be done; I then prioritize my tasks by assigning a ranking priority
Group A are critical tasks Group B are enabling tasks Group C- nice-to-have, with a continues flow of distractions I have learned that a to do list lets me go back to where I was without starting something new.

I am a list-maker. I always keep To Do lists for work and home, but they end up being here and there on different sheets (and sizes) of paper. I like the Tools included with this module. These forms will be helpful to me as I make my lists and prioritize activities, based on processes I've learned in this session. Have you ever done something that wasn't on your list and then wrote it on the list just so you could check it off?!! . . . guilty! LOL

Sign In to comment