Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student's Time Management

Hi, I'm finding it very difficult to compete with my student's busy lives. They are taking three classes, working full time and trying to do 12 hours of homework a week. All this while being active young people who seem like they've never learned how to sit still or prioritize things. I tried to give them some of the strategies from this training. They seemed to listen, but time will tell. Any ideas out there?

Managing Stress by taking initiative and control

One of the things I like to do when I'm feeling stressed it to take my thoughts elsewhere to focus on something positive or something I can look forward to. Learning something new on how to handle people or different scenarios gives me hope that things that otherwise often feel out of our control, are actually within our control. If there is a person that you are having difficulty getting along with, there are tons of resources that teach you how to communicate with people like that. In the end, I feel much more knowledgeable and ready to take control.… >>>

Work/Life Balance

If you cannot find a healthy mix with your work/life balance, should you begin looking for another job....is it worth it?

"Mini"s

Do the mini breathing techniques work as well as the full relaxation technique because obviouly they would be easier to achieve during the workday

Training

Consistent training helps the mind stay alert! It also keeps things interesting as employees are able to continually learn and evolve their skillsets.

The Insanity of Being Always Available in a Socially Connected World

I use social media daily. At times it is frustrating that I have so many channels to monitor and respond to. I have interactions daily on my blogs, my website contact form, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Google+, texting, and several email accounts. I try to be as connected as possible with students, faculty, and the community. At the same time, Other instructors do not. Am I crazy for trying to stay current with technology trends or just overextending myself? Anyone else feel this way?

good and bad stress

As we all know, there are good and bad stressors. In life, we must learn that we need stress as a catalyst to improve. Stress isn't always negative. If I achieve the goals set forth for me at work, then idea of not achieving the goals are considered a stressor; a stressor that keeps my bills paid none the less. Just as many of our students would like to earn an A, it takes work to do so. Therefore receiving a bad grade is a stressor to achieve the A which they want.

Thanks for the review.

A lot of it was a review but it's nice to see an organization willing to remind people about the importance contained within the subject.

Managing stress

I thought it was a good idea to share with co workers and close friends to relieve some pressure that is built up inside,this way we can see from a different point of view.

The Importance of Training

This is a valuable topic--the most important aspect here is to establish that the content of the training has been comprehended by the trainees. To address this, and assessment is necessary, and the assessment needs to be effective. A Q&A over basic content is useful, but questions in which the knowledge is applied will provide a better tool to assess the effectiveness of the training. Questions containing scenario-based case studies will be the most useful here. I welcome all input! Thanks! Richard--

Creating a balance between work and home

I find that I have to remind myself that a job, is just a job. When my home life suffers, everything else suffers along with it. Sometimes it is hard to remember to balance the two.

Time Management in Classroom

I start the day with all the topics that I want to cover for the class. Then I assign time limit for each topic. When we reach that time I would move on to the next topic. I would allocate some time at the end for further discussion on certain topics that we could not complete at the time limit zone. Is that appropriate for me to do?

Stress--good and bad...

Stress in life is unavoidable, but how you deal with it will determine it's ultimate effect. One of the most important things you can do with a stressful situation is to analyze it rationally and determine what productive action you CAN take, and recognize what you can't control. As an example...I am finishing a term in which I am teaching 13 classes simultaneously--this is the largest workload I've ever taken on. Prior to the beginning of the term, I felt as if this might overwhelm me, but using a systematic approach, I have limited the stress considerably. One of my… >>>

Leading by example, even when it hurts...

I can share a wealth of knowledge regarding this topic. I have been personally faced with the following conundrum: What does an employee do when his/her boss requests (with the threat of termination) that you do something that is unethical? The situation I'm relating occurred over 20 years ago--I was a manager in charge of a project which was failing to generate the data my supervisor wanted to see. The supervisor demanded that I produce (aka fabricate) the desired data or lose my job. My choice was clear. I took the blame for the failure of the project and quit… >>>

multi tasking

Multi tasking can at times be less productive if you are constantly making errors you have to correct.

Stress in General

Some stress is normal and even useful. Stress can help if you need to work hard or react quickly. For example, it can help you win a race or finish an important job on time. But if stress happens too often or lasts too long, it can have bad effects. It can be linked to headaches, an upset stomach, back pain, and trouble sleeping. It can weaken your immune system, making it harder to fight off disease. If you already have a health problem, stress may make it worse. It can make you moody, tense, or depressed. Your relationships may… >>>

Coping and stress

I use an exercise that enhances my coping ability. I place myself in the longest line at the banck, grocery store, etc and create useful ways to utilize the wait time.

Toxicity and its discontents

Toxic stress diminishes workplace productivity as it depletes the human spirit.

time management

Many times the stress of managing our time and energy gets overwhelming. If a person can stay focused and find ways to work around a monumental task by delegration of the work load, taking a few extra minutes every day to look over the schedule and reprioritize if needed, to ask for help. Even taking a short walk to clear your head and actually help you work more effectivly.

Good Training...

All, These training tutorials are really good. I liked taking them and have learned a lot from them.