Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stress in General

Some stress is normal and even useful. Stress can help if you need to work hard or react quickly. For example, it can help you win a race or finish an important job on time.

But if stress happens too often or lasts too long, it can have bad effects. It can be linked to headaches, an upset stomach, back pain, and trouble sleeping. It can weaken your immune system, making it harder to fight off disease. If you already have a health problem, stress may make it worse. It can make you moody, tense, or depressed. Your relationships may suffer, and you may not do well at work or school.

What can you do about stress?

The good news is that you can learn ways to manage stress. To get stress under control:

Find out what is causing stress in your life.

Look for ways to reduce the amount of stress in your life.

Learn healthy ways to relieve stress or reduce its harmful effects.

Elizabeth,

You have stress well defined. For us to avoid any stress would be impossible but we can work to develop a life style that will help us survive the rigors of the stress. We need to practice a balance in our life of good health habits, exercise, mental activity for relaxation, and spiritual rejuvenation to strengthen our faith in our future. You are on the right track and seems to know what is the culprit.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Re-evaluate your job, your life, your position in it.
Look at where you are and where you want to be.
Come up with a plan of action.
Stick to your plan but realize you will deviate.
Nothing is perfect, but do the best you can.
Then look at what you have acheived and re-evaluate

Steven ,

Plan, implement, monitor, review and plan implement, monitor, review. What we do in life is governed by just what you have pointed out. The key is to recognize we need to revisit our plans and implementations in life. We need to adjust and regroup often. In the end of the day we just need to know we have given it our best.

Dr. Gary Carlson

If all we are clouded by is stress, how do we develop a plan to incorporate good health habits, exercise, relaxation and rejuvenation to revive us? I know it may be simple to do; however, when stress is our big shadow, it's difficult to remove it and the rest becomes a negative cycle.

Alexis,
If that was the perception we wouldn't accomplish anything. We have to be smarter than the stress. There are solutions to most everything but we need to be cognitive of how to solve them.

Dr. Gary Carlson

What can you do about stress? Identify the source and plan accordingly. Accept the thngs you cannot change and change the things you can.

The good news is that you can learn ways to manage stress. To get stress under control: Incorporate the breathing technique into your daily schedule, exercise regularly, and eat a healthy diet.

Find out what is causing stress in your life.

Look for ways to reduce the amount of stress in your life.

Learn healthy ways to relieve stress or reduce its harmful effects.

Cynthia,

All great ideas. The key is to keep all this consistent and balanced. Your balance in good health habits, exercise, leisure, mental relaxation and spiritual rejuvenation.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress is caused when a person reacts to a situation or response that requires adaptation. If we ignore most of trivial issues rather than reacting to it, it will reduce and eliminate most of the stress. Another, thing is to reframe the thoughts and think something moments in life that you cherished earlier. Effectively managing the time and prioritizing tasks also greatly reduces stress. Excercise is best way to reduce stress

Adnan,
All of us need to lead a balanced life with exercise, good health habits, recreation, mental activity, meditation and spiritual rejuvenation to maintain a our stress. You have definitely hit upon some of the important ones. With this balance we have a chance to conquer our stress.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Stress in general is difficult to hide or pretend that nothing happens, I think as educators we must first learn to deal with difficult situations then teach our students to be able to do likewise.
during all the years of teaching I have learned to listen and not let it affect me problems for many students that do not affect my life or my family, but most importantly it does not affect my work as an educator. I think is most important in our career. Teachers are psychiatrists of our students

Miriam,

Any great teacher is a mentor. Your actions and communication with students creates path of possibilities.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment