Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student's Time Management

Hi, I'm finding it very difficult to compete with my student's busy lives. They are taking three classes, working full time and trying to do 12 hours of homework a week. All this while being active young people who seem like they've never learned how to sit still or prioritize things. I tried to give them some of the strategies from this training. They seemed to listen, but time will tell. Any ideas out there?

James,

I have had success with having the students map out their plans hour by hour during a week. They soon see that they need to make some compromises or to more effectively use the time they have available. It is eye-opening on occasion.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I've encountered similar problems. Most of my students work on top of taking 3 intensive pre-clinical courses. They often lament that they just don't have enough time for the amount of school work I give them. But in my own direct observation of their in-school behavior and patterns, I see a lot of them spend time on social media like facebook and twitter and engaging in social conversation in between class breaks. I point these "time-wasters" to them in the event they will identify for themselves, things that will free up more time. I tell them to use the breaks wisely, to rest but also to look over the lecture notes. If they take a bus and commute to glance at the days notes. Learning in an incremental fashion benefits them in having to learn, regurgitate, and retain so many facts.

Rommel,

Some might say expecting students who work and go to school to spend their between class breaks studying is unreasonable. How would you respond?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Most of my students also have children who they care for. So when they get home, most of their time is spent caring for their children. I always stress using your time wisely.

I don't expect students to study on their break,I do however stress time management. So, if they do not have time to study at home, then a two hour break can be certainly spent looking over notes, claryifying with the instructor, and having group study time. I've observed the students who dont avail of this free time, and spend it on other things, like updating their social media or go shopping, end up paying the price in the long run by cramming.

Rommel ,

You have hit upon they type of challenge that makes teaching at a career college different than teaching at an institution that serves traditional students. Life includes many more obligations and challenges for our students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Prioritizing activities works. Not all activities have equal importance. If work is prioritized a student should reduce the class load. If school is prioritized the student can work fewer hours (part-time) in order to have more time for school work. This is called opportunity cost and cannot be compromised.

I have a problem with my students talking amoung them selves. Then later asking where we are or what they they need to be doing.

In regards to students and time management. They all have cell phones and like to uses them.

In class we discuss timeline for cooking competencies and how to put them together on paper. The next thing I do is discuss getting organized for the week. I have them make a to do list for the week, then prioritize which needs to be done first, on their phones.

Some students stay with it and tell me months later they still make a weekly to do list. I just hope that the ones who tried it will one day realize what a great tool it is and start to use it.

David,

Working smartphones into a lesson or as part of an overall class organizational strategy is a great way to support today's "phone-addicted" students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment