Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing Stress by taking initiative and control

One of the things I like to do when I'm feeling stressed it to take my thoughts elsewhere to focus on something positive or something I can look forward to. Learning something new on how to handle people or different scenarios gives me hope that things that otherwise often feel out of our control, are actually within our control. If there is a person that you are having difficulty getting along with, there are tons of resources that teach you how to communicate with people like that. In the end, I feel much more knowledgeable and ready to take control. It's all about taking initiative to be better and learn more about how to overcome your own obstacles.

Erica,

You are wise to step back and gain perspective. When we have a chance to take a breath and give appropriate time to relax and make good decisions. The best way to consider difficult people is to understand why their behavior may be less than tolerable. Usually when we know what precedes bad behavior we can make our adjustments for better communication.

Dr. Gary Carlson

By stepping back and reviewing the issue, you are able to gain perspective and deal with the issue at hand rather than reacting to the bad behavior. Similar to parenting a two year old--intervene when safety is the issue immediately; while for other issues, try to see what the underlying problem is.

Kelly ,
I past was working with students with specific emotional behavior disorders. We always would analyze and research previous behavior and development that actually precipitated inappropriate behavior. Your technique is right on the right path to behavior management. The actual behavior often has an expected response by you. When you are aware of precedent behavior causes current behavior you can logically deal with the correct response.

Dr. Gary Carlson

yes i can agree with Erica and Dr. Gary Carlson. in my line of work i tend to have moments of stress throughout my day and sometimes or most of the time i feel they are out of my hands to control. but taking four step method helps me clear my head and relax. which allows me to come up with a plan and cope with the anxiety and stress from work.

When ever i feel that there is something i cannot handle i take a step back and evaluate how important that problem is and how i can solve it. If i feel there is nothing that i can do i deal with the stress with excersing which helps dramaticly reduce my stress level

Kimberly,

You are on the right track. We all need to lead a balanced life consisting of good health habits, exercise, recreation and spiritual rejuvenation. Your steps are in line with the steps.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment