Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing stress

I thought it was a good idea to share with co workers and close friends to relieve some pressure that is built up inside,this way we can see from a different point of view.

Miller ,
When you treat your people like a team and share with them the challenge and shared feeling of anxiety and relief makes for a strong team. Your willingness to share is the key to letting people know you care.
Dr. Gary Carlson

I think that's great. Those of us who work closely together try to do that at least once a week. It's a time for commiserating, venting, and often ends with humor. I usually leave those sessions feeling more relaxed. I try to work those into my teaching also. Periodically I let them ramble/talk/discuss what's on their minds before class starts or after mid-class break. Seems like we focus better after. Sometimes students have a real issue that they're complaining about/bogged down in and we can stop, breathe, look at it and help them develop an action plan. Recently it worked exceptionally well to do that with a student who was getting exceptionally frustrated. Usually she's focused and on top of things but that day she couldn't focus on anything but the negatives. Getting her to pause reflect and have a concrete source to go to for answers resolved the problem rather than letting her continue to stress herself. These techniques work as well in a school situation as they do in business.

Dee,
I commend you on your teaching techniques. It is important to know your students and that they are individuals. Your ability to measure what is needed at the time and build from it is an important trait for a teacher to understand. Students and employees experience more success with leaders like you.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment