Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Work/Life Balance

If you cannot find a healthy mix with your work/life balance, should you begin looking for another job....is it worth it?

Michael,

Many folks have to make this choice. Our school is a family-owned institution that stresses faith, health and family before the job.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Before looking for that other job, evaluate where, in your current job, is the problem. Then determine if that area could be changed or redistributed, it may just change your outlook of the job.
However, if you seek that other job without identifying the problem, you might just find it follows you.

Giles,

These are good points. We need to find balance or we will be less successful at some of our roles.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I agree with everyone else. You should definitely evaluate all aspect before making a decision.

I am the program director for a large program, half the school population, a wife and mother for a 10 month old child. I am finding it harder and harder everyday to be 100% effective in each of my roles and am getting to the point of burn-out. I delegate what I can at work, but am so physically and mentally exhausted from the day, that my personal life is suffering. I attempt to prioritize, but every day it just seems that more and more are thrown into the mix and I never get caught up.

Dena,

There may be a point when you find you are unable to "do it all" and have to make some tough decisions. In the mean time, talk to your employer about how you may delegate more within company policies. I am lucky as my employer stresses faith, family, health and job - in that order.

Jeffrey Schillinger

I think it is very important to be able to balance the two of them.

I agree, balancing the work and life has a reflection of your performance.

Natasha,

What are the keys to establishing priorities when finding this balance?

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sign In to comment