Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Assessment

This was a good assessment in my opinion. I know how important it is to have good relations with co-workers, managers and such. If you understand what is needed, it makes for a better operating atmosphere.

Leading by example

The best part of the presentation was being able to use this material immediately. I am teaching a Business Management class this term and this training came up just as we were doing business ethics. How better to keep your employees ethical than to lead by example... perfect tie in!

Goals for the Team

Our department has been setting goals within the team. Our manager is coming up with goals, plans of action, developing clear expectations, and stradegies to get it done. Our manager is new to our location but has set up short-term, long-term, and nice to have goals. I feel like he is supporting my role here in my department and even though our job descriptions are evolving every day we discuss any issues or problems we may be having. We have personal goals as well as goals we must reach for the schools overall performance. The manager introduces daily, monthly, and… >>>

Stress of the Department

My department has been going through a lot of tranisition and at times I have felt stress. I have noticed that my sleep pattern has changed and I find myself waking up in the middle of the night worried about the next day outcome. Things have settled down now and I feel the stress fleeting. I am a Chef by trade but have transitioned into the office. Chef's work under high pressure and thrive on stress. Office stress is completely different and the course has helped me assess my new challenges.

Networking

One of the biggest lessons I have learned in managing my career is the value of informing your network of your desires. All my jobs were obtained through someone else pushing me to an unknown hiring manager that did not know me personally. The hiring manager took the reference of my network who he knew personally.

Managing stress... Not so bad or not?

I've learned to have a balanced lifestyle can help with the those moments of "STRESS".

perception verses reality

Much of the time anxiety is a perception and not always a reality. It is important to re-evaluate the situation you are in to see if you have actual reason to worry or if the situation if looked at differently can reduce your anxiety becuase you see it as a fun challenge and not a scary project.

Relax

Understand your level of tolerance and how to handle high levels of stress

Dr. Carlson

Dr. Carlson: How do you differentiate between positive and negative stress? Is there such thing?

Time management

What are your best recommendations for effectively managing your time?

Time management

I believe time management starts with completing immediate tasks. Otherwise the responsibilities can build up on you. What do you think?

It is difficult sometimes to avoid stress

To improve productivity in the job and life everybody needs to keep their stress level to a minimum. which is not an easy tusk.This course definitely will help. And as an instructor we can also guide our students and help them achieve their goal by reducing stress.

Stress

How to avoid stressing when the morale of a workplace is constantly negative?

Ways to de-stress at work

Plan and organize your day. Make time to take a walk yourself. Organize your office. My stress comes from a feeling of being out of control, of being overwhelmed.

Goal Setting

-Helps you in vision what you'd like to accomplish - Helps you set deadlines for yourself - Helps you hold yourself accountable for your tasks

Schedule

Schedule is the best way to deal time management because it become a visual aid. A schedule is a easy way see your uncommitted blocks of time with ways to improve your schedule.

Pace of work

My biggest factor is not managing my time, but the pace at which I work. I'm so meticulous about my work (OCD) that I tend to go back over the work I've done. This causes me to take up time from another area. It can get frustrating. Any help on how I can deal with this?

The "Killing of the Smartphones"....

In a meeting at our school today, I happened to glance around the room and noted a good third of the participants were busily tapping on their smartphones. I honestly believe if all of them had been confiscated that our meeting would have been much more informative and productive. Any good, common sense tips on controlling smartphone usage in business meeting-type settings?

Stress: Laughter & Reassurance for First Day of Class

The first day of class in a new semester is always stressful for both the professor and the student. Humor, describing a situation that occurred with me, allows them to relax a little and personalize me as accessible human. Secondly, I reassure them that by placing in groups of 4. They communicate with other students. The personal connection of the smaller groups collectively discussing the overall goal of passing the class, provides the connectivity to relax and be successful. I ask them to create a group name and elect a team leader. More activities that allow them to interact, communicate… >>>

Time management

As cliché as this may sound but there is not enough time in any given day to accomplish tasks and meet objectives. I find myself taking work home which invariably affects my personal time with family. I have to prioritize my time and ask myself what is more important to me in the situation at hand.