Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Workplace Stress

One useful way to reduce workplace stress is to communicate more effectively with your colleagues. Avoidable conflict is often the result of misunderstanding.

What I do when I'm stressed

When I am stressed, I try to analyze my stress factor, strategize what to do and work on the cause and effect of the stress factor.. As a high school teacher, this has improved my dad to dad stress immensely!

Goal setting under time restraints

How does a person accomplish goals professionally when there are only so many hours in the day. I work in Career Services as an Advisor and the amuont of interuptions I get on a daily basis is well too many count. It is hard when I have the goals in place and yet the timeframes are not always realistic to the position at hand.

Goals - almost meeting them

I never realized that by breaking down your goals and evaluating the steps needed to accomplish them could be so in depth. Maybe this is why I have bailed on personal goals because I have not had realistic goals and broken them down into the steps needed to take to accomplish them.

Searching Within

I like that this course begins with the challenge to avoid quickly jumping out of one's current organizational boat just because of low morale or poor job fit. I've been with the same organization for over 8 years and have held 5 different roles during that time. Refelecting on those roles and the pros of cons of each of those roles while taking this course really helped me to understand why some roles were a better fit for me than others.

Fatigue stress

Sometimes my teaching job requires a 14hr day in front of a class. One class in the morning and one in the evening. We work in 3 week phases so by the 3rd week I'm exhausted. What are some good tips at combatting the stress you get from fatigue?

Lead by example

It i sso easy for us to tell our students to do the right thing, forgetting they whole time they are learning from us.

Goal setting when the leadership is not establishing clear goals

How do you set goals for yourself at work, when the leadership does not give you clear goals to accomplish? I feel like I sort of know what our companies goal, as a whole is about. However, we are owned by a large company and I would like to know what our local goals are for our school. This would help me to set my goals.

Breathe

I enjoyed the Stop, Breathe, Reflect, Choose method. I tried this today and it worked for me.

Personal stress comes to work

I try to use my students in problem solving activities. I occasionally share situations that may be fairly common that someone I know may be facing and allow them to discuss how best to resolve the situation. I use this activity to help them grow in their skills and selfishly use their insights and opinions to help me gain a better understanding of their views. I find this especially helpful when the class gets distracted. It will bring up the energy level for them and for me!

Dealing with bottleneck supervisor

I understand that it is easier said than done when it comes to giving advice on how to deal with a boss that needs to approve everything. When you have this problem and have used all of the methods for rectifying it what else can you do? The bottlenecks get so big and you cannot get through to the boss so you feel it is impossible to make any progress on new projects. I have heard of people called 'impossible people'. But when it is your boss or supervisor how can you solve this? Thank you!

Depending On Others

It is always nice to have co-workers, and friends to talk to when you are worrying. They could help you through your issues and guide you through the process. Friends that will lend an ear are great resources for a worrier. They will allow a worrier to vent, and at least get things off their chest. Jamil Marshall

Restoring Confidence and Momentum

I particularly liked the interview with Rosabeth Moss Kanler and how confidence plays in to how you set, engage, and achieve goals. Confidence can wax and wane with a myriad of factors in someone’s life, but the trick is that when confidence wanes that we find ways to not get sucked in to it and lose momentum and vision. She mentioned optimism, hope, and activity as the three main antidotes to combat confidence lulls that pull us away from achieving our goals. Setting up small, attainable tasks to be completed can provide the pick-me-up needed to continue towards the longer… >>>

Too Many Emails, Not Enough Time

I think that too many emails can be a waste of time. I work with some great motivating individuals. However, they send too many emails. I think that not everything needs to be said when thought of and emails can sometimes be a avenue for some to purge their thoughts. Instead taking note of thoughts, ideas and concerns to then be later discussed in the many meetings that are scheduled within the management team is a more effective use of everyones time. This is one of many reasons meetings are scheduled to discuss specific goals and topics from an agenda.… >>>

The new job

I am entering a middle management position or the first time in a large company in lieu of another position in the same company. It was interesting how reflective this course was of my own analytical process when choosing between the different positions. In regards to the "new attitude" of corporations, is there any reading that can be suggested to better understand what is going on at higher levels? Alot of confusion is rampant locally, but most of that is due to miscommunication, which has led to a feeling of dissent amongst my colleagues.

crisis

i have found that most crisis will show itslef early as something small, assuming its not a natural disaster but more operational, and if not caught early will grow into a monster of a crisis.

Goals

I never knew goals were that complex, there's definitely a method to the madness.

Over Planning

Is it possible to be over prepared for a crisis? If so what should be the cut off point when setting up a preparation plan?

Goals as a team member

I felt that this training was focused more on corporate leadership, rather than setting goals for yourself as an 'underling'. However, the tips and tricks within it are very helpful for increasing productivity day to day. The SMART worksheets have already given me ideas on how to prioritize tasks at the beginning of the day. I will be able to bring my goals to my supervisor, have them visible on paper and discuss the value of the specific goals I set for myself. Learning how to better to focus, prioritize and evaluate these goals will help me in all areas… >>>

Set a good example

When in a management position you must be the leader. Do things correctly and your work and that of others will be good.