Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Time Management in Classroom

I start the day with all the topics that I want to cover for the class. Then I assign time limit for each topic. When we reach that time I would move on to the next topic. I would allocate some time at the end for further discussion on certain topics that we could not complete at the time limit zone. Is that appropriate for me to do?

Somyot,

What adjustments are you willing to make when circumstances force you to spend more time on a topic than planned?

Jeffrey Schillinger

I would suggest adding a 10% - 20% cushion time to each topic time frame to ensure successful completion of the topic before moving on to the next one, rather than moving to the next topic without doing justice to the previous topic.

John,

That is good advise. Thanks for sharing this.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Sometimes, in a classroom, I think you have to make adjustments when students are really genuinely interested and engaged in something. I always work a couple of flex days into a quarter schedule so I can allow this to happen.

I agree, for me personally it really depends on the circumstances that are forcing or prompting me to spend more time on a topic than I had originally planned. The importance of the topic relative to the course outcome is also a factor. Another consideration is the students' interest level. If they are both interested and the topic is within scope then I am willing to discuss or demonstrate a topic to whatever length necessary to promote and ensure understanding. I have "work on project time" built in to my classroom schedule to accommodate these "teaching opportunities."

Cameron,

Nice post. Thanks. The strategy you describe is student-centered and is based on the stated course or program objectives. This is how teachers should think when setting priorities.

Jeffrey Schillinger

As an instructor time management is a major tool for the success of your class. In my classes they are only three weeks long and six hours per day. Due to changing class size I must be able to complete my class in X number of days. I need to know where I am and where class need to be by end of each day. I do have one day a course that is flexable, wher i could make up time if lost. So time management can make or break a class.

The frustrating part of time management at my college is that we are constantly being interrupted by student activities. First day of our Mod (our classes are twice a week for 4 hours for 6 weeks)we had a surprise guest speaker that it was mandatory for students to attend. The second week they had another function. It is a constant challenge to meet objectives and ensure that the syllabus is being followed.

Carmella,

Sometimes these activities are essential for orientation or financial aid repackaging. Consider working with your school leadership to schedule these types of things near the end of the class meeting or perhaps to find another way to get the information to students.

Jeffrey Schillinger

Some adjustments that I am willing to make when circumstances force me to spend more time on a topic include: re-evaluating my curriculum plan, possibly deleting info I do not think may be necessary, or adding an additional assignment for homework to cover the material missed due to the loss of time.

Marcie,

A good technique is to find things students can teach themselves through well desgned assignments so that you do not have to spend class time on that issue.

Jeffrey Schillinger

OK...thank you for your input.

Sign In to comment