Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

presentation

follows along well with the guide lines i was taught in 85, not much difference. Liked it

What makes a good talk?

Like many of us; I have attended a multitude of talks at conferences and other forums. This course has helped me answer the question, "Was it the topic or the speaker that made a 'good' v. 'bad' presentation"? I have attended presentations on topics that were highly interesting 'on paper' but the speaker did a poor job. Various incarnations of topics and talks that make for good v. bad presentations now make more sense when viewed through the lense of ML 117.

Implied Listening

Listening with silence

Coaching or lack of

Hello: My school is currently experiencing lack of coaching or motivation. We are a very small school. So program directors have taken it upon our selves to motivate and coach each other during this time. We in the PD office have been able to coach each other with various issues in the school. We have new online program and going through current curriculum changes. each of these takes careful guidance to navigate. We receive minimal instructions and expected to carry out the objectives.

Responding to feedback

When receiving feedback I tend to respond to the person providing the feedback rather than the feedback itself, especially if I have no confidence in the person providing the feedback. How does one correct for this type of situation.

Feedback

How to prioritize objectives. Discount for 1. Uncertainty 2. Time 3. Risk 4. Acceptance

When responding to criticism...

If, when responding to criticism, you first follow these rules, and it fails, it is important to not to simply get rid of the rules. In other words, if you clarify the criticism that you receive and you respond in a rational way, and it fails, and the criticizer, perhaps, becomes angry at you, do not respond in kind. Their getting angry at you does not justify your getting angry at them.

Understanding the roles of the two parties

I think that acknowledging each others roles in relation to each other, and in the context of the topics being discussed, can help facilitate the process and may even serve as prep work for the feedback session.

New Manager

My current challenge is being a new manager in a currently "broken" department. Although the team knows a change is expected, all of my suggestions are met with negativity. Any suggestions?

Online Listening

It's difficult for me, as an online instructor, to listen to students because it's all through email. If the student does not know who to effectively write/communicate, it makes it difficult for me to understand their questions, problems or concerns. I can patiently respond back asking probing questions but feel it's a waste of my time trying to pull information form the student in order to have a better understanding of their question.

Problem Solving for the Other Person

My biggest take-away from this tutorial is to listen, not problem solve. I expect I should have remembered that from Men Are From Mars; Women Are From Venus, but apparently I forgot.

Negoitiating

When negoiitating with others you must be a good listener

Presentation

I like the ideas on being more engaged. We have young students at our tech. school and the more moving the better.

Presentation

I just finished ML117. I found this training very interesting. I have been an instructor for the last four years. At first I was not prepared well to present, but as time went on I started to become more comfortable. My presentation became more enjoyable not only for me, but also my students. I am amazed after reading thru this, that I actually do a lot of the ideas already discussed. I only wish I would have read this when I first began teaching, I believe it would have made my life a lot easier with fewer mistakes.

Diversity - Race

How would you react if a colleague challenged you on very basic technical knowledge of your bachelor's degree course plus the fact that you are licensed professional with so many years of actual work experiences? The challenger is white and the one being challenged is an Asian.

Meetings

Meetings are productive

Were you really listened to?

Describe a time when you were really listened to. How did this make you feel?

"Listening" for Non-Verbal Communication

How might observing body language help you understand how a student is feeling?

Empathetic Listening

What are your best practices for empathic listening?

Use of the Funnel Frame

How will you use the funnel frame in your work with students?