Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presentation

I like the ideas on being more engaged. We have young students at our tech. school and the more moving the better.

I believe that when you’re grooming the younger generations in regards to public speaking, you have to start early. I know with myself, I didn’t start giving presentations until I was a college student in my 30’s, but if I had started beforehand, it would have made it much easier for me to engage a small or even a large audience. I believe that high school students are now taking courses that allow them the opportunity to speak in public; which is great, but it has to be an on-going process. I know with myself; even with joining Toastmasters, I still have to convince myself that I can do this, and there is no need to be afraid.

Being more engaged with the students and moving around helps keep the attention.

Donald,
yes this helps them see that you are engaged with them & are concerned about their learning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I started instructing/public speaking at age 44. It was somewhat difficult to overcome the stress I put on myself but I learned very quickly if I invited students to present some basic information to the class, the "public" part of my job became easier!

Roy,

yes, & the current generation is very keen on that participation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

How long have you been publicly speaking? Just kidding Roy. I've taken some tips from Dale Carnegie. You've prepared for this presentation your whole life and if you use your own experience in your presentation students can feel your confidence and you become authentic and someone worth listening to.

I try to move all around the room this keeps the students moving and alert. This class should be a requirement for all new instructors. Great information.

Mark,
glad it was helpful. Yes movement in the class is a good way to keep students alert & also to monitor them for engagement.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Moving around the room and not being stationary keeps the attention of a class

Sign In to comment