Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Were you really listened to?

Describe a time when you were really listened to. How did this make you feel?

My mom tends to be a great listener. I generally call her when I need someone to talk to. She makes me feel like what I'm discussing is important and that she genuinely cares.

My best friend Maria is a GREAT listener. When she listens, it makes me feel understood, cared for, and at ease. Even if we are discussing a difficult or controversial topic, there is no intimidation or judgement, and our conversation is more productive and open.

Adrienne,

Thanks for your post! It is really amazing to have a great listener in your life, isn't it? How can you take those traits that your friend demonstrates and use them to improve your own listening?

Dr. Jean Norris

I speak to my dad a lot about issues because he listens intently. He lets me get what I need off my chest, gathering information as I speak, and then assesses the situation with me. He does not judge me but gives me a different perspective on things. This shows me that he genuinely cares and wants to assist me in finding the best outcome.

Erin,

Isn't it great to have a great listener like that in your life? Thank you for sharing your story about your dad!

Dr. Jean Norris

It made me feel that what I had to say was valuable and important. And it made me want to reciprocate by listening attentively when it was the other person's turn to speak.

Sign In to comment