Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Why

The "why" questions are something I need to work on. People do get defensive and that usually will put the breaks on a call.

Keeping students from falling asleep after a full night of work

What methods has anyone used to spark and keep interest of course subjects to students that work full shifts after 9:00 p.m. and start classes at 1:30 p.m.?

Feedback

I think every Instructor should take this course. It was very informative. Feedback do play a major role in our jobs as instructors.

Coaching

this model is very subjective and wordy. Be a coach is really simple, why do we make everything so complicated

Feedback and Massage Therapy

I am an instructor for a massage therapy program. The majority of courses in the program are "hands-on". This offers a massive amount of opportunity for providing constructive feedback to students on technique, body mechanics and client care. In a "hands-on" course setting, the behavioral typology chart is totally up my ally. I anticipate incorporating this useful guide when offering student performance feedback.

Separation of Powers

I think that the most difficult thing to achieve with coaching is to build the trust necessary to do it effectively. Despite what everyone may say to the contrary, if you evaluate your direct reports in anyway, then they will see any coaching attempt as critical at best, at worst, as an effort to penalize them. I have tried to make my direct reports see that coaching is never used in the evaluation process, but despite all I say or do, I still sense reticence on their part to fully participate in the coaching process.

years of coaching

Even after years of coaching people, I learned a lot about things I can improve on from this course.

Communication

Good Communication skills is key

naked

I prefer to only imagine those audience members who I consider to be attractive to be naked when I present my topics.

High School Students

I was hoping to find more examples of how to engage an audience who is losing interest, hungry, not paying attention, not participating. Specifically, how to get them back and keep them engaged. I present recruiting information about our college to area high school students, and although it includes a cooking demo, it's sometimes a challenge to keep them tuned in. What are some tricks to keep the audience interested in the "talking" part of a presentation that have worked for you in the past? I'm not able to edit our slide show since it's from corporate. Thanks so much,… >>>

Suggestion for this site

I have enjoyed reading all the comments which are very helpful and insightful. My problem with this site is this: Every time I respond to a remark or question and then return to the page, I'm back at the top again and it takes a lot of time to scroll through all the threads trying to find where I left off. Any way to just return to where you were when you made a comment?

Coaching students

I've attempted to use coaching with students on team projects with mixed results. Usually it is a positive outcome with more mature students (not just age, but in attitude). Have you used this in such settings? If so, should I tweak the process since the setting is so different? Any resources that you know of would be helpful.

Contingency

Is there a way to plan for situations that are outside of your control? Situations that may take away the audiences attention, such as a thunderstorm, thin walls, sneezing/coughing audience members? What do you do if the audience has a intelligence level that you overestimated?

Intrcution in the Classroom: Listening Skills

A skill that is often not focused on enough in the classroom is teachin listening skills. Active listening actually involves the brain. When one actively listens they taked in the informaiton and mentally digest. In doing so we are not formulating a quick response but rather we are processing the information to gain understianding and then provide feedback. An activity I conducted in my classroom is to allow the students to get into to groups of twos. Then each student carried a discussion out with thier partner. After a period of 3-5 minutes each student then had to write down… >>>

Accepting or receiving feedback

I have learned that I need to separate feedback from references to me as a person from what I contribute to the company. I also learned that I need to be able to accept positive feedback directly instead of down playing it.

Presentation Skills

Know your audience... this is vital to being an effective presenter. It should help to guide you though the other pit fall of speaking.

Viewing this presentation

I had difficulty viewing this 1st presentation. All the screens had the 1st few lines cut off. I adjusted my screen size, rebooted etc. Was unable to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this issue? I passed the quiz anyway. :)

Presentation Skills

I agree with a lot of the discussions. You have to view students to see if your losing class. so we may have to switch things up.

The Importance of Communication

Poor communication can produce powerful negative consequences, such as the following: distrust, lack of support, ridity, and other issues created by poor communication.

Making feedback work.

Feedback and other management techniques require a proactive positive attitude. Handle matters sooner than later and let people know you want sensible input, not bellyaching. Seek solutions and study the effects. Last of all, don't be afraid to announce that a proposed solution isn't working. Be receptive to trying new ideas. Don't be afraid to abandon a course of action which isn't fulfilling the defined objectives of the root cause analysis.