Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Use of the Funnel Frame

How will you use the funnel frame in your work with students?

I will start with the opening question of "If you were accepted here today for training, what would you like to accomplish with our help and guidance?" Once they give me an answer, big picture or detailed, then I will know where in the funnel I will enter to explore their answer better.

In a call such as one I had earlier today, when a student says they have had a bad week but that it "has nothing to do with school", I can use funnel topic technique. I can ask how he was feeling earlier this week, and how he feels now. I can ask who he spent time with this week or where he spent time this week. I can then identify areas to explore. This will be better and maybe student will not shut down and just say, "it's personal" because I offered to refer him to our outside counseling service before getting details.

Tina, Great insight! Please be sure to share your next experience in the forum!
Elizabeth Wheeler

I think the funnel frame will be useful when a student is closed off (e.g. a student who is not coming to a particular class). Instead of referring them right to the dean, I can use the funnel frame to access further information. I can then understand and help the student resolve the issue. If the student then needs to speak with the dean, I can relay the information to him to help aid the student in resolving the issue.

Erin,

Excellent! This sounds like a perfect time to use the funnel frame!

Dr. Jean Norris

I think utilizing the funnel frame to ask the right questions will help me to better understand what my students by getting the correct information are struggling with and how I can help them.

The way I would use the Funnel Frame with students is for gathering valuable information that way I can build rapport with the student by making he/she feel I am listening to the conversation. This way I can sevice them and guide them to a positive outcome and/or solution.

Veronica,

Absolutely! The funnel frame is an excellent technique for continued rapport!

Dr. Jean Norris

Tierney,

Thank you for posting. You're right - the funnel frame allows you and the student to explore situations fully. Many times the students themselves discover as much, or more, than we do by going through the process!

Dr. Jean Norris

The funnel frame require just as much listening as questions. I think need to listen more to help direct the individual.....

Drew, Interesting! What can you do to "open your ears" more?
Elizabeth Wheeler

Listening ...

Sign In to comment