Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

feedback versus balanced feedback

What is the difference between feedback versus balanced feedback?

topics

Have you ever seen a meeting that has gotten too far off track?

presenting

What are some techniques that you use to prepare to present on with an unfamiliar subject?

writing

Have you ever judged a person's qualities based on the way that they write?

Providing Feedback

I believe as an instructor the best thing I can do is provide feedback for my students. I do this in many ways I talk to them about study habits and if they do poorly on an assignment; I ask what they did to study and coach them on better preparation next time. I believe it is also hard to do correctly which is why I enjoyed this information, I can use it to enhance what I have already been doing. My question is does it ever get any easier to deliver feedback?

Faculty Division

What identifiers do you look for to determine if an employee is causing division in the faculty and how do you address it?

Managing Information to Employees

Is giving employees too little information, too late, something I should strive to change as a manager or is this an accepted reality?

Sensitve to feedback

In my experience I have found that it is hard for people to hear criticism about themselves. This is why I believe that feedback is best given through a compliment sandwich. We first give information that a person would be more open to usually about their positive behaviors. Then give the bitter news of where performance can be improved, finishing it off with how this behavior will look in the future when corrected and the future benefits. Then give an appraisal of some of the positive things this person brings to the team. This is like the idea that I… >>>

coaching

coaching is about making it easier for people to change and improve,

Consider the source

My current challenge is a colleague who never accepts responsibility for any mistakes, blames others and takes credit for things others have achieved. Does anyone have help for me here?

Presentation

I really enjoyed this module. I have been teaching for a little over 5 years and it is critical to know your audience. I think given any presentation, the presenter must visually paint a picture regarding where he/she will take the audience. It is very important to recap/summarize at the end of the presentation to see if the goals/points were met during the presentation.

Presentation Variety

Use a variety of presentation techniques. For example, in my computer class, I will use screen projection, show students actual hardware, use a white board with charts and other information on it, all in the same class. I use a discussion, involving as many students as possible, all while giving the presentation.

Updating Virutal Team Members

Would you consider it important for team members working on very different aspects of a given project to get periodic updates on progress or changes to areas of the project that are not directly relevant to their responsibilities? On the one hand, it would help a feeling of teamwork to know what is happening and to feel updated, on the other hand, their could be the pitfall of flooding people with irrelevant information, and distracting them from their true responsibilities. Looking forward to your responses.

Spelling Slang

I believe all the text slang has made it more difficult for people to write properly. It also makes it more difficult to understand if you don't use slang often.

Choaching a difficult individual.

As we know coaching should be tailored to the individuals personality,goals,and attitudes of the individual. I had some challenges with one of my a student whom I was coaching on personal conduct during a job interview. I realized very early that for coaching to be truly effective, the person being coached requires an openness to change which my student wasn't. My student also lacked a high enough level of self awareness to be able to recognize and accept his current reality. I tried to work with this individual to make him realize that it is okay to let his guard… >>>

Meetings should be productive

I dislike unproductive meetings. When a meeting is unproductive, it's a waste of employee time and company funds as well. I agree with trying to cover what all is on the agenda. That can usually be accomplished if the host is able to keep control of the meeting and not let too many sidebar conversations take over.

Skiils

Ideas to improve presentation skills

Public speaking

When I went back to school one of the courses I had to take was speech. My instructor found it amusing that I taught for a living but was unable to participate in the class without freaking out each time I had to speak. I even used one of my lessons as a speech and still struggled. For me it is not the lack of knowledge that did me in but the feeling that I am being judge. When I reach my students are so eager to learn that I am not aware that I am talking in front of… >>>

Voice

One of the most difficult things I find in public speaking is projecting my voice clearly. More often than not, the audio equipment will fail or not be working properly so it becomes VERY important to know how to project, much like actors on a stage, speaking from your diaphram while not actually yelling, if that makes sense.

Personality types and feedback methodology

An additional aspect that could assist if providing and receiving feedback in a team setting is to better understand how our unique personalities come into play. Possibly by introducing a tool such as the Meyers Briggs type indicator (MBTI) or Strength Deployment Inventory (SDI) would assist in approaching others on the team in an effective way. What may work for one personality type, may not work for another type. This would help move the team or individual in the appropriate direction.