Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

"Listening" for Non-Verbal Communication

How might observing body language help you understand how a student is feeling?

Often a student does not want to reveal something that may put them in a position where they are openly not in control or feel as if they may be judged. Therefore they may tell you that everything is "fine" and omit many details. A colleague of mine was the lead counselor at a large university. He was very successful with his patients and well known as someone who was a great help to students in crisis. Later in his career, he lost his eyesight due to macular degeneration. Soon after he stepped down from his post. He said he did not feel he was capable of competently counseling students without his sight since he would miss many non-verbal cues. He said it was as if all the information during an interview was mired in fog. This observation illustrates just how crucial nonverbal cues and body language may be when asking questions.

Joelle,

Thank you for sharing the story about your colleague! It is indeed a great example of the importance of non-verbal communication. How do you react when you're faced with a student whose non-verbal communication contradicts their spoken word? Do you have any successful techniques for getting to the truth of how the student is really feeling?

Dr. Jean Norris

I often enjoy watching a person's body language through out our conversation. During the admissions process, often a student is unsure of the process in the beginning and will often sit with their arms crossed or legs crossed. As we proceed through the process and they begin to feel more comfortable- their body language often changes, showing that they are becoming more comfortable with the process. If this does not happen, it usually means I should slow down and really take the time to identify other non-verbal and verbal clues to see what is really on their mind.
I love watching facial expressions as well as a means to compliment the words they are speaking.

Christina,

Excellent observations! It sounds like you recognize the importance of non-verbal communication when working with your students and adapt your approach accordingly. Thank you for sharing!

Dr. Jean Norris

Observing body Language can help me to understand how an student is feeling through the messages that he/she is sending with the posture, gestures and facial expressions. Body language can uncover hidden thoughts, desires or emotions. Also, it can confirm what the student wants to express. Learning how to interpret the relation between verbal and non-verbal communications is important to comprehend what the students really need.

There has been numerous times when a student did not understand what I was explaining and began to get frustrated or still looked confused, or their body. Even if they had stopped asking for help, I could tell they still needed it.

Well, the most important observation for a body language is that I would be able to see if the student and I are on the same page. Their body language will tell me if they are engaged with me and following our conversation. This also can give me a feed back if they are accepting and/or agreeing with me.

Tierney,

Great awareness! Many times a student's non-verbal communication will provide insight into how they are really feeling.

Dr. Jean Norris

Janet,

Exactly! Thank you for your post!

Dr. Jean Norris

Veronica,

Thank you for posting! Body language can certainly give you clues as to how the student is feeling.

Dr. Jean Norris

Body language is key in a face to face meeting.. Actions always speak louder than words....

Body language helps you understand if the prospective student completely understands what was discussed. It allows you to know if more clarification is needed.

Body language give you clues as to how the student is feeling.

For me observed the body language is a key part of my job. Because most of the student when they come to clarify or ask for a services they do not know how to express (verbal) the situation but if , understood their body languages, I can got the message.

Jose, That is correct. How do you use these clues to help connect with the student?
Dr. Jean Norris

In all the years I have been speaking to students, I have always observed body language. The intensity with which a student interacts, the posture, his or her gesturing can show agressiion or agreement. Continuously, moving around while seated, looking at the walls and floor and seighing continuously are all indications that the discusion is going no where.

Body language can help me identify portions of our conversation that are intimidating to the potential student. Also body language can tell me their emotions and also can tell me thoughts that they perhaps may not want to share, but it does provide me with an opportunity to ask clarifying questions. Great class!

observing body language is just part of basic sales.

I always look at the body language because it tells me so much. I can see if my class is restless because they are not interested.  I want to know that I am engaging them, from the moment I see unfavorable body language I know that I have lost them then I have to figure out how to get them back on track.  Sometimes it is tough because certain aspects of the class require a lecture.  So instead of lecturing too much,  I get my points across through engaging stories.  It's tough sometimes.  And usually there is always one person in the class who can throw the entire dynamics of the class into a different direction. At the beginning,  I like to identify that person so that I do not lose control of my class.  Body language speaks volumes.  Fortunately my  classroom has  mirrors so it allows me to see everything.

Sign In to comment