Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Online vs Traditional Learning

I would say it depends on the students study skills. Online learning requires the ability to work and study independently. An online student must learn how to manage his/her time, dedicate themselves to reading course materials and participating in forum discussions. Usually the online lecture takes the place of the instructor, however in this setting if a student has a question, it must be addressed after the session via email or contacting the instructor. In a traditional class setting, questions can be answered immediately and if the student does not understand the course materials, at that time the instructor can… >>>

Availability To Students

I am an online instructor. Students are informed on the first day all emails are returned within 24 hours. I post office hours and days I am available. As much as you would like to be available 24 hours, we as instructors have personal lives and in each new class, there is a student of group of students who feel I am not available when they need help because of the time difference, their own work schedules etc. Is it really possible to be readily available to every student?

Teaching courses online

I would have to say teaching Medical Billing is a challenging course online. First, a program would have to have numerous "hands on" projects for students to complete; question is, how would you deliver and recieve the finished product?

Question/answer board

Module 4 recommends the use of a question board (if the question is not already on the FAQ list). It suggests having students post questions and wait for student responses to their questions. It suggests forwarding the question to the instructor if the questions is not answered within 24 hours. Is this question/answer board different than an asynchronous discussion board? If so, should students ask the instructor questions directly on the asynchronous board?

Synchronous discussions

Module 3 mentioned keeping live chats to a minimum of 6-7 students. If a class consists of 30 students, do I break it up into groups and have 5 different live chats? Also, do I randomly choose the students for each group?

Synchronous discussions

Do you find there is a certain part of the day or evening that is more beneficial to gain higher participation with synchronous discussions?

Successfully transferring from a live classroom to an online course

I am developing my first online course. I have taught in the classroom over a year. Some of the courses I taught have very simple content, therefore, I try and gain class participation by doing projects and activities on a weekly basis. How can I maintain the same excitement and participation with an online course that contains basic content and material?

Unsatisfactory on-line student

How would you address a local on-line student who insist on meeting you, because they feel they are not being graded fairly and has issues with your teaching style and will not give up until you meet with them face to face?

Course Management System

What is the best method to redirect a student who wishes to withdraw from class due to them finding CMS overwhelming and not easy to navigate?

Deducting points

I deduct points for students who are continuly absent. With online students having different schedules do you feel it appropriate to deduct points if a student misses the chat sessions, even though assignments are in on time?

Yes you can gain friendships in e-learning as well as face to face

Recently completing an on-line course, through chat sessions and e-mailing, I gained a friend and we did our assignments together and helped each other along, which at first I thought by doing and online class I would be just stringing along with the instructor and myself, however I received help through the instructor and my friend, gaining a relationship on line is possible it is not only for the face to face classroom.

Students learning online

I believe that students would learn as much as if they attended a class with the help of their teacher, however, there many implications that we have to ponder about, namely, the students' learning styles, the encouragement that they get from their instructor, yet, if we take for granted that the instructor is effective as to deliver the online course and that his/her student are highly motivated. I indeed think that learning would take place, on one hand, due to the format of the course delivery, student would have the advantage of working at their own pace and thus accomplish… >>>

The supreme act of getting to know your e-students

I firmly believe that as teachers it is a must that we get to know our students in any context and learning situations, and there should not be any obstacles of any kind in as far as it concerns for projecting a sense of trust and confidence in order for students to open up their affective filter and to be willing to cooperate in any learning event as well as to respond to their teacher positively. Some of my peers already stated different ways of getting to know their students, however, I want to add another point, that of ourselves,… >>>

Grammar presentation approaches to be taught on line

An integral skill to be developed by language students is being able to strike sentences together through the proper syntax, hence, having a full command of the grammatical structures embedded to the language. I, myself, foresee one single possible problem not about presenting grammar but on checking comprehension thoroughly. Does anybody agree with me? Jorge Tamayo

should we grade attendance?

When I was teaching at a university in Tijuana, I went to a workshop where we talked about giving students a certain grade for perfect attendance. Some professors didn´t agree. It was a complex issue. In my teacher training we have some issues about students coming in late. When trainees practice, they have to let students come in late. We reflect on our teaching practices every morning. One of the trainees mentioned that even in the input session, they come in late sometimes. I told trainees that a lot of those issues have to do with schools policies. My question… >>>

online courses

I´m a teacher trainer in Mexico. As part of training, I teach how to teach Phonetics. Basically the problems we might encounter as Spanish speaking people learning English. I wonder how this topic can be taught online, especially when it comes to sounds, intonation and so on. looking forward to hearing from someone, Rodolfo

The advantages of e-learning and group assignments

As a recent online graduate, I found working with groups and corresponding electronically had many advantages. Because many of us were in different time zones, we found it helpful to post the times we would be online. This allowed for those who could "chime in" to do so. Another advantage was we worked together to divide up sub assignments for group assignments and assigned a specific time in which we were to have our individual contributions in. This constant logging in allowed our instructor to see who was really participating and who was not. Third, I learned how to work… >>>

Is e-learning the issue or students' lack of computer skills?

One thing that I notice in my traditional classroom setting is that most students, even adult learners have what it takes to acquire a certain set of skills, provided that they are well explained by the instructor. What some lack, in regards to adult learners, is computer literacy. Therefore, I am willing to say, that any course can be taught online. The problem will lie in the students' ability to navigate through the computer learning fields. Some students will probably prefer to have a physical person present to help them when they come to a crossroad. Others, who are computer… >>>

Managing Discussion Topics

All the discussion topics for subjects that l teach are done in the asynchronous mode. A requirement is that every student post to the discussion forum several responses relevant to the topic. Every student is given the opportunity to express their opinion both personally and academically and comment to each others posts. Do you feel this method is limiting to a avoidant learning style type of student.

What are the diffinite advantages of Asynchronous discussions

Setting a time frame for asynchronous discussions has treetous value in establishing,influencing, inspiring and connecting with your students.Establishing a specific time to do a required on-line chat can be effect method in establishing this.