Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of the Biography

I think of biographies as being the icebreaker for the class. What do you think?

Laletrice:
As per my response to one of your earlier postings, sharing biographies is probably the easiest and most effective waqy to "break the ice". We encourage Instructors to post their biographies through hyperlinks in the Course Syllabus. A video-clip of the Instructor accompanied by a transcript of the video is the most effective way for an Instructor to provide a biography; nevertheless, text supported by a head-and-shoulders of the Instructor is good enough. So is text alone.
Satrohan

I think the biography is the best way to "break the ice". This is the way that instructors and classmates learn about each member and can relate to their status. I alwasy have enjoyed the biographies in my online classes and find that I may have a classmate or two that live close to my area.

Tammy:
You have highlighted one of the benefits of posting biographies. By identifying students in your locale, you can form an e-learning community and arrange for face-to-face meetings to share ideas about the course content. If there are group projects you can request theInstructor to assign students in your local to the same group.
Satrohan

The group meetings for study purposes is a great idea. Finding out who is in my area will help the student not to feel so alienated. I know as an instructor how important it is to some students to have mentors for the class.

Tammy Foles

Providing a short biography is what I do now on the first day of traditional classes, and I would certainly agree with its importance for an online course. Prior to this discussion, I have never asked students to share much personal (biographical) information with me but it is certainly something that I would consider for an online course. For our traditional courses taught on campus, students spend free time together before or after class so they do have the chance to get to know one another during face-to-face contacts and discussions. This would be equally important for an online course and sharing information as suggested would be helpful. That is honestly something I would not have thought about doing. There really is a lot more to consider than what I initally expected. So many of these suggestions are vital to the overall success and satisfaction of the students involved.

Mary:
Students may not want to share "personal" information in their biographies. I suggest you restrict the kinds of information to the types mentioned in this course. At least begin with that. Some students may volunteer more information; others may not.
Satrohan

I look at the biography as not only breaking the ice with my students, but also making them see that I am a real person and not just words on their computer screen. In the e-learning environment, it is encumbant on each of us instructors to make our courses as close to face-to-face as possible.

I use the biography and ask each student to then submit their introductions to me along with a photo. I then take each of the photos submitted and make a Power Point collage with their photo and first name. At the beginning of each Virtual Class, I put up the Photo Slide so that while they are chatting prior to class, they begin to see each other rather than just reading a whole bunch of names in the Paricipant Window. This has increased the amount of interaction between the students as well.

I also share a lot about myself during the Virtual Classes just as I would if I were standing in the front of the classroom in front of all of them. It helps them to see that I am real -- just like them.

This is a terrific idea Kathryne! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Do you have any problems with students being uncomfortable submitting their picture to you?

I am teaching a class that is partially online and partially a traditional classroom setting. I like the idea of student biographies, primarily so that I can get to know them. The students I am teaching are a tight knit group who have proceeded through their entire program together, so I'm not certain how to proceed with a class "ice-breaker" activity. Also, I really thought I would just deliver my biography in person when we met, but it might be fun to post it online too.

The ice-breaker activity is for you to get to know the students as much as it is for them to get to know each other. If they have been together for awhile, what about having them write a biography on each other? That way you will still get to know the students and they might learn something new about each other.

I think either way you present your biography will work--just do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Thanks for your comments Jodie.

I agree with you. I have found that sharing my background with the students can motivate them to achieve the same goal. I also feel that students have more faith and confidence in an instructor who has accomplishments in the subject matter.

Establishing credibility with the students is important and sharing your background is one way to do that. Thanks for your response.

Instructor biographies are standard (I hope!) in all classes. Not only do biographies convey expertise, but also serve 'humanize' the instructor. I request short biographies or introductions from my students via e-mail. I also create a discussion board forum so that they may post their bios for other students to read.

Yes, I think they are pretty standard as well--because they are a great way to introduce students to the teacher as you described above.

... and what an icebreaker it can truly be. An online biography is like a face-to-face introduction of the instructor to their students. In under five minutes, students can get a sense that the instructor is supportive/caring and has their interests in mind. Remember, you only get one chance at making a good first impression.

Biographies are a great way to break the ice, because people learn things about one another that may not come up in everyday class conversation. Both the students and teacher need to feel comfortable with one another, and finding out more about what everyone does for a living, what brought them to this particular course, etc. can be very enlightening and pertinent for potential discussions in the future.

I agree, this is a wonderful ice-breaker which aids discussions and finding common ground. For my on line class, I have the students include a brief paragraph about themselves and then include a few specific questions they should discuss which can include:
-When you are not studing or working, what do you like to do for fun?
-Finish this sentence...If I could make any dream come true for myself it would be...
-Share an interesting fact about yourself

I agree Beth! It is also a great way for students to identify similarities with each other. It is fun when students can make those personal connections.

I like the idea of providing some specific questions you want the students to answer in their introductory post. It is a great way for students to identify areas of commonality so that they can begin to make connections.

Sign In to comment