Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Success in Online Learning

Is success in online learning based on the instructor or student? Please list reasons for answer.

Laletrice:
I will leave this question for other students to answer. Reason: This question is highly likely to generate a new direction in this Discussion Forum. If you require an answer from me, please let me know.
Satrohan

Laletrice,
I believe if you want to learn something, you will. I have had many online courses where the instructor was available for answers to questions only with no chat which suited me fine. It was the content I was interested in, not spending my time chatting.
I also had an online coure with a wonderful instructor who was very supportive and posted answers to all comments. It was very motivating and I believe I tried harder to concentrate on things I wasn't so interested in.
(No reply necessary)

Laletrice,
In reading Module 1, it is my understanding that the success is based on the instructor; and I agree. I think that it is up to the instructor to set the tone for the course and give concise information as well as instructions. It is also important for the instructor to keep the learners actively engaged in their learning process.

I believe, just as in a live classrooom, success is based on the student and instructor both.

Can you provide more detail on why you think this Sarah?

As a former classroom instructor with 17 years under my belt and a brand new online instructor, I know for a fact that I impact my students' success rate. My online classes are at a particular time and I'm seen on camera. My attitude, tone of voice, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the material directly impacts each student's experience and ability to learn. If I'm unprepared, lack knowledge of the material, or am not energized, the class lags and the students suffer.

That being said, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. You can drown him, but you can't make him drink. This, in a sense, is true of teaching, in a classroom or online. An instructor can be positive, prepared, engaged, motivating, etc., etc., and a student still has to be involved and put forth effort.

Success in online learning is based on both the instructor and student, almost equally. I think the instructor has more influence on success than the student if I look at the topic through a broad scope. The instructor controls presentation of material, structure of the class, amount of interaction and feedback; those are key items in a classroom, so instructor's impact is heavier when it comes to success.

Very nicely stated Kristin! Your analogy of the horse to water was a very good description. Students do need to meet their teacher half way, but the teacher needs to make sure he/she is providing a positive environment so that a student is comfortable reaching out to the teacher for help. Thanks for your comments!

Sign In to comment