Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Conveying the Difference Between Attendance and Participation

“Attendance versus Participation” This is a subject for clarification on the first day whether online or in the class. Students have a misconception about Attendance and Participation. Coming to class or signing on to the online class is "Attendance." Some believe their mere physical presence in the course warrants a grade of 100% for "Participation", because, "I was in class...." This is very indicative of the compare and contrast in commitment levels. Therefore, before I render a final opinion about this; let us take a moment for introspection. Please remember this exercise, because your class will be a mirror-image of… >>>

What is the desired level of competency for the student?

Can any course be taught online? Presently, I will have to say, "No." This is a conditional response based upon two realizations: 1. The level of technology in online programs. 2. The expected skills that can be applied after the course. 1 The level of technology in online programs The multi-media and games design industry have given the educational industry an opportunity to capture the attention and interest of this computer generation. I have witnessed a number of very interactive exercises that use bowling, crossword puzzles, war games, gameshow templates to entertain the user. If we, as educators, fail to… >>>

Methods to Stimulate Discussion

In the courses I am teaching, there is a Discussion Board requirement. The student response to these has been anything but overwhelming. I am looking for ideas that I can use as the instructor (but not developer/designer of the discussion questions) to get students more motivated. About half of the questions are close-ended (yes or no), but the other half could stimulate some healthy discussion. Thank you for whatever help you can provide. Jennie

Addressing Time Zone and other differences

I am in a situation where I have students in three time zones. Does anyone have suggestions for synchronous discussion or chat sessions that would best include all of the students? Thank you, Jennie

Managing students...

In most online courses, students have the freedom to study whenever they want as long as they adhere to established deadlines for completing learning activities, assignments, and assessment measures. As such, is it true to say that it takes less effort to manage students in an e-learning environment than it is in a traditional classroom environment? Justify your answer.

Learning online...

Would students learn as much or more in an online course than they would in the same course delivered in a traditional instructor-led classroom setting? Explain your answer.

Getting to know your students...

Would you lose the ability to really get to know your students in an e-learning environment? Provide a rationale for your answer.

Can any course be taught online?

Are there some courses that cannot be effectively taught online? Justify your answer.